Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE SC 4.5 Enters Beta

Phoronix: KDE SC 4.5 Enters Beta

In preparations for an early August release of KDE Software Compilation 4.5, the KDE development community has issued the first beta of this desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...the Konqueror web-browser can now use WebKit as a rendering engine, the KWin window manager now supports tiling...
    Woohoo, this is awesome, especially window tiling support, which is a great addition to already existing window tabbing in 4.4.

Comment

Rekonq, the new and fast webkit-based KDE browser which is going to replace Konqueror in the next round of KDE distribution refreshes has also released a new beta of what will become v0.5.

Just a short blog today to announce the immediate availability of rekonq 0.4.90 (0.5 beta) tarballs. As I’m having troubles today with my sf account (rekonq site and tarballs are on sourcefor…

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
        Woohoo, this is awesome, especially window tiling support, which is a great addition to already existing window tabbing in 4.4.
        You have been able to use webkit in Konq for a long time now, you needed to have kdewebkit package installed from playground.

Comment

Rekonq is awesome but the KDE desktop integration is totally crap. Even that 'slider' thing in widgets doesn't work properly.

Konqueror with Webkit by default would be a killer, if only tabs would have close buttons and not one for all tabs on the right and the URL field would go straight to your search engine when therebis no http, www and a dit specified and maybe a space char to trigger that. Seperate search engine text field are totally 90's...

Comment

V!NCENT, you are not using web shortcuts in Konq? That's always been one of its main selling points! That's also the reason why Konq has never needed a separate search field.

Anyway, this is good news. I've tried getting used to Arora (due to the use of Webkit), but I guess that I'm too used to Konqueror nowadays. Alt+o gg: and similar shortcuts are a part of my standard workflow and I can't imagine working without them now.

It's a shame that KHTML2 is falling by the wayside. I was rooting for them, but it's looking like they won't be able to catch up, or keep up, with Webkit and Gecko. At this point, we should say "thank you KDE for giving us KHTML, Webkit, Safari and Chrome, it would not have happened without you!".

I think that 4.4 has tab-wise close buttons in addition to the one on the right (which is great, BTW), but I'll have to check when I'm back at home, this machine has an older version.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              I think that 4.4 has tab-wise close buttons in addition to the one on the right (which is great, BTW), but I'll have to check when I'm back at home, this machine has an older version.
              This can be configured in Konqueror's options, I've been using it for months if not years.

Comment

O...... K.....

Now I have duplicate functionality:
                Adress bar and a Google search bar. Thanks to pingu for letting me know web shortcuts (heaven! ) and close buttons on tabs and a seperate close button on the right >.< Not to mention keyboard shortcuts...

I think I am falling in love with the Konqueror beast. Default browser for now... ^^,

Comment

Working...
                X