Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Input 2 Support Goes Into GTK+ 3.0

Phoronix: X Input 2 Support Goes Into GTK+ 3.0

Beyond updates to Clutter, Mutter, GNOME Shell, and various other GNOME applications, there is one very other important change that happened to the GNOME desktop this week. After being around for years, X Input 2 support was finally merged into the GTK+ library for the 3.0 release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI4OA

Is X Input 2 already in Xorg xserver or it's still on it's roadmap?

Comment

Does this mean I will be able to bind ANY key combination to anything?

Comment

why is phoronix ignoring Qt development?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          Probably because qt is boring. The major distros all default to gnome. Most software is GTK. Despite some people being real fans of it, and technical differences aside, qt really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
            Does this mean I will be able to bind ANY key combination to anything?
            No, it means that you can plug four mouses into your computer and they'll all work independently.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
              Is X Input 2 already in Xorg xserver or it's still on it's roadmap?
              Your question is answered in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Probably because qt is boring. The major distros all default to gnome. Most software is GTK. Despite some people being real fans of it, and technical differences aside, qt really doesn't matter.
                troll fail. Very hard indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  No, it means that you can plug four mouses into your computer and they'll all work independently.
                  Any idea when and how that will be made possible?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    Why don't you ask that somewhere *other* than in a GTK+ news post? Seriously.

Comment

Qt is not mentioned because there is currently not much to mention about it and Gnome is on its way to a massive version bumb with massive changes which has only happened once with Gnome with 1.x to 2.x.

On the other hand Phoronix doesn't spend a lot of time reporting on Qt and KDE out of massive disinterest, which is dissapointing as the vocal people count even, if not more, towards KDE.

Then again I think that the point of news is being informed on what you don't know, rather than what's happening around you, so I think some more attention towards the development of XFCE and others would be justified.

We all have our my DE Vs. your DE religious 'discussions' for fun, but I am realy interested in the new Gnome, even though I'll probably keep using KDE SC.

Comment

I'll agree and disagree.

The major distros definitely use Gnome more than KDE.

Ubuntu - Gnome
                        Debian - Gnome
                        Fedora - Gnome
                        RedHat - Gnome
                        Mandriva - KDE
                        OpenSuSE - KDE
                        Novell SLES - Gnome
                        Slackware - KDE

I think that's pretty much it.

The most interesting thing Qt has going for it right now, in my opinion, is MeeGo and Symbian. They both are using a Qt base, along with the now released PR1.2 of Maemo 5.

So the real question here is... when is Xi2 going to be implemented in Qt. Especially with phone devices using multi-touch?

leech

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                          I'll agree and disagree.

The major distros definitely use Gnome more than KDE.

Ubuntu - Gnome
                          Debian - Gnome
                          Fedora - Gnome
                          RedHat - Gnome
                          Mandriva - KDE
                          OpenSuSE - KDE
                          Novell SLES - Gnome
                          Slackware - KDE

I think that's pretty much it.
                          You consider slackware to be major? That's more of a micro-niche from my perspective... but either way, yep. And particularly when you consider that the top four on your list probably account for 90%+ of all linux installs.

The most interesting thing Qt has going for it right now, in my opinion, is MeeGo and Symbian. They both are using a Qt base, along with the now released PR1.2 of Maemo 5.
                          I think that's mostly because nokia owns qt. But to be honest with you, symbian is totally uninteresting, and meego is only interesting in so far as it might motivate intel to update the SGX535 xorg drivers. The nokia aspect of it is enough to make you barf.

Comment

and then you remember: Ximian assholes at Novell tried to kill KDE. Redhat has a strong 'not invented here' syndrome. And debian is betraying their own rules with the continued use of gnome. In fact, the FSF is betraying their own goals, if they use/recommend gnome.

Comment

Mandriva is pretty much dead ATM. Financial problems (read /.).

Kubuntu, while flawed, isn't massive? Strange...

BTW Fedora has KDE iso's, so Gnome isn't default at all... I don't know where you got that from? Maybe because computer-iliterate users see the fedora screens by default as Gnome is way more simple to understand...

Comment

Working...
                              X