Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MythTV 0.23 Released; MythTV 0.24 Plans Documented

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MythTV 0.23 Released; MythTV 0.24 Plans Documented

    Phoronix: MythTV 0.23 Released; MythTV 0.24 Plans Documented

    Following three release candidates since late March, MythTV 0.23 was officially released yesterday. With the release announcement they also detail some of the plans for MythTV 0.24...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI0MQ

  • #2
    For whatever it is worth, I am the developer working on Blu-ray disc parsing and playback for MythTV .24. The code is already in trunk and works well for a baseline. BDMV folders are properly parsed, the primary title is selected and played. Basic metadata from the disc is available and I am working on patches to enrich the playback experience including being able to play the secondary titles (There is no support for blu-ray menus yet so this will all be accomplished within the Myth UI), improve seeking, and when libaacs and libbdplus mature a bit, to allow users to install those libraries and use them with Myth.

    The code has a long ways to go but it's a fun project and a good start.

    Comment


    • #3
      Many thanks to you and the rest of the developers- you've done a great job.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks! Slowly but surely we are working to address UI and setup issue-- within the next two releases you should see that Myth will become much, much easier to install and maintain (though obviously underlying stuff like drivers, OS stuff, etc. will remain an issue outside of our control). I should also point out that the hard part of parsing blu-ray discs and disc folders is being done by the fine folks at libbluray, from which we have imported their libbdnav library. Our ability to parse the disks is reliant on their good work.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by iamlindoro View Post
          Thanks! Slowly but surely we are working to address UI and setup issue-- within the next two releases you should see that Myth will become much, much easier to install and maintain (though obviously underlying stuff like drivers, OS stuff, etc. will remain an issue outside of our control). I should also point out that the hard part of parsing blu-ray discs and disc folders is being done by the fine folks at libbluray, from which we have imported their libbdnav library. Our ability to parse the disks is reliant on their good work.
          According to http://my-trac.assembla.com/libbluray/browser/, the last commit to libbluray was 7 months ago. Is it still alive then? Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by iamlindoro View Post
            For whatever it is worth, I am the developer working on Blu-ray disc parsing and playback for MythTV .24. The code is already in trunk and works well for a baseline. BDMV folders are properly parsed, the primary title is selected and played. Basic metadata from the disc is available and I am working on patches to enrich the playback experience including being able to play the secondary titles (There is no support for blu-ray menus yet so this will all be accomplished within the Myth UI), improve seeking, and when libaacs and libbdplus mature a bit, to allow users to install those libraries and use them with Myth.

            The code has a long ways to go but it's a fun project and a good start.
            You sir, are an absolute legend. I've been patiently waiting for BD linux support, where I can just pop in a disk and play it, just like DVDs in Myth.

            I take it for the DRM removal it's going to be a medibuntu (if you use ubuntu obviously) job?

            If I were to buy a BD-ROM and put it in a Myth front end, would testing be of any help to you?

            Thanks,

            James.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kbios View Post
              According to http://my-trac.assembla.com/libbluray/browser/, the last commit to libbluray was 7 months ago. Is it still alive then? Thanks
              The project is no longer hosted there, and the code isn't currently publicly accessible. You just gotta know the right people. The last commit was actually about a week ago, the project now lives at bd.videolan.org.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
                If I were to buy a BD-ROM and put it in a Myth front end, would testing be of any help to you?

                Thanks,

                James.
                Hi James,

                Thanks for the kind words. For now it wouldn't do either of us much good as we need to do a few more months work to make the support usable, and because there is no support whatsoever for decryption at the moment. This support is purely for unencrypted disks (meaning disks you have already decrypted with a tool like AnyDVD HD in Windows, or Blu-rays that you have made of home movies/recordings/whatever). The libbluray project *is* working on two libraries (libbdplus and libaacs) that are like the libdvdcss that DVD playback uses for encrypted playback, but these libraries are "babies" still and I wouldn't expect to be able to get/find a copy for a little while yet.

                Comment

                Working...
                X