No announcement yet.

Songbird Linux Support Falls Out Of A Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i tried it around initial linux release and it was a bit too much of a kitchen sink for me. slow, big, difficult.

i pretty much forgot about the app already. i prefer simpler audio playback solutions, like mpd

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
      Actually, Amarok 1 rocks. Amarok 2 is still like years behind Amarok 1
      Let's start a flamewar about this
      Anyway, Amarok rocks. Be it 1 or 2, they're both good enough for me now :P

Comment

What I fail to understand is why, it being based on open-source, portable components, they decided that the linux port will not be developed and some new features might not be implemented for linux. Am I wrong to thing that mozilla xul, gstreamer and all are easly portable? How much platform-specific code do they have? Why do they intend to add more platform-specific code (as apparent from their statement that some new features might not be there for linux at all)?

Comment

What is their business model? You know what they say: if you dont know what it is about, its about money. So who pays them?

Comment

Never really used the stuff, so no loss here. Tried it on Windows, but it was too shiny for me (I like minimalistic players).

Read some people talking about Phillips and some kind of library that is only available for Win and Mac, how much truth is in that?

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
              Actually, Amarok 1 rocks. Amarok 2 is still like years behind Amarok 1
              I didn't use Amarok 1 for long time, but it's still probably the best audio player ever in my opinion and Amarok 2 is at the second place. Btw. afaik someone is porting Amarok 1 to KDE4

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                I didn't use Amarok 1 for long time, but it's still probably the best audio player ever in my opinion and Amarok 2 is at the second place. Btw. afaik someone is porting Amarok 1 to KDE4
                Now that would be a revelation

Comment

First of all: Thanks for the news item that actually mentions that a community version still exists.
                  The other news items I've read about Songbird said all that there won't be any Linux version any longer.
                  That's simply not true. Songbird on Linux will now be treated like Songbird on FreeBSD: It'll work, but others have to create the packages.

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                  Doesn't Songbird modify your files without you knowing?
                  No.

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                  What I fail to understand is why, it being based on open-source, portable components, they decided that the linux port will not be developed and some new features might not be implemented for linux. Am I wrong to thing that mozilla xul, gstreamer and all are easly portable? How much platform-specific code do they have? Why do they intend to add more platform-specific code (as apparent from their statement that some new features might not be there for linux at all)?
                  Support for external MP3 players is AFAIK completely platform-dependent.
                  But as you already wrote: The majority of the code is platform-agnostic anyway. So it will work in the future.

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                  What is their business model? You know what they say: if you dont know what it is about, its about money. So who pays them?
                  MP3 player manufacturers that want a branded version of Songbird with some exclusive features. Songbird itself is GPL-only so addons have to be GPL-compatible as well, but POTI (the company behind Songbird) has the right to re-license which means that they can develop proprietary addons.

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  afaik someone is porting Amarok 1 to KDE4
                  Only partially true. The port (Clementine) is to Qt4 which means that it not only integrates well into KDE SC 4, but also GNOME, Windows, and Mac OS X.
                  :tangerine: Clementine Music Player. Contribute to clementine-player/Clementine development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Good riddance. Also, what is with hiding the source? Nothing on download page, not found on a quick "songbird source" google search.

Comment

Oh, there it is, the *sixth* google entry on "songbird source".

Comment

Working...
                      X