Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 2.30 Released; Farewell To GNOME 2.xx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME 2.30 Released; Farewell To GNOME 2.xx

    Phoronix: GNOME 2.30 Released; Farewell To GNOME 2.xx

    The GNOME community is very excited today as they have just released version 2.30 of the GNOME Desktop. Besides being another six-month upgrade to this popular Linux desktop that brings evolutionary upgrades, GNOME 2.30 was originally going to become GNOME 3.0, but that was pushed back by six months...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODExNQ

  • #2
    Screenshots? Or does this look exactly like the previous 100 releases of GNOME?

    Comment


    • #3
      Not really. I'm actually impressed, because :

      Nautilus features a number of user interface changes including a new split view mode
      http://library.gnome.org/misc/releas...ilus.png.en_GB

      Split View ? Well I know KDE had that LONG time ago, nevertheless it's still nice that gnome will also have it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just trollin'...

        Nah, Gnome 2.30 looks like Windows NT 4 with splashes from Mac OS 9. It's an improvement over the previous Windows 98 look, that's for sure.

        Still, kinda surprised this project isn't dead yet. I sense Microsoft's hand at work here, trying to destroy Linux through Novell (or something, not so sure about current tinfoil-hat theories in circulation.)

        Any word on Evolution updates? (Not looking for anything specific, Evolution works more or less great!)

        Comment


        • #5
          Are there any plans of providing a way for Gtk apps to not look like ass on KDE? Like the native Gtk look of Qt apps when ran under Gnome?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
            Screenshots? Or does this look exactly like the previous 100 releases of GNOME?


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              That's Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a custom look and does not represent how default GNOME looks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Judging from the screenshot, they did a nice job with the window decorations, but the widget style is still awful. At least there are alternative styles available.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Are there any plans of providing a way for Gtk apps to not look like ass on KDE? Like the native Gtk look of Qt apps when ran under Gnome?
                  Well, you can tell KDE to make GTK+ apps use the QtCurve style. That will make them fit in pretty well. Granted, it might make some applications crash (at least on Ubuntu), but at least they will look pretty while doing so. Clearlooks doesn't fit in as well, but it doesn't make anything crash, either.

                  The real solution, though, is to come up with some sort of common widget theme standard so that GTK+ and Qt/KDE apps can use the same theme with ease. I have heard people talk about such things, but I have never seen anything actually happen.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    GNOME still has broken icon placement?
                    This is the top-most reason why I can't stand to use GNOME as desktop. It throws icons all over the place with different sizes etc.
                    I like to use various GTK/GNOME apps (GIMP for example), though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Judging from the screenshot, they did a nice job with the window decorations, but the widget style is still awful.
                      As I already wrote: That's Ubuntu and not how GNOME looks by default.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by waucka View Post
                        Well, you can tell KDE to make GTK+ apps use the QtCurve style. That will make them fit in pretty well. Granted, it might make some applications crash (at least on Ubuntu), but at least they will look pretty while doing so. Clearlooks doesn't fit in as well, but it doesn't make anything crash, either.

                        The real solution, though, is to come up with some sort of common widget theme standard so that GTK+ and Qt/KDE apps can use the same theme with ease. I have heard people talk about such things, but I have never seen anything actually happen.
                        It did happen from the Qt side. Qt apps will use the active Gtk style under Gnome. They look like Gtk apps. The reverse isn't true, Gtk apps can not use the active Qt style.

                        It's just sad that Gtk does not return the favor here.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008...ing-qgtkstyle/

                          "We already have QCleanlooks, icon themes, standard shortcuts and dialog buttons to integrate with GNOME, but to achieve true perfection we need to use the Gtk theme engine directly just like we do on Mac and Windows. QGtkStyle does exactly this"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by waucka View Post
                            Well, you can tell KDE to make GTK+ apps use the QtCurve style. That will make them fit in pretty well. Granted, it might make some applications crash (at least on Ubuntu), but at least they will look pretty while doing so. Clearlooks doesn't fit in as well, but it doesn't make anything crash, either.

                            The real solution, though, is to come up with some sort of common widget theme standard so that GTK+ and Qt/KDE apps can use the same theme with ease. I have heard people talk about such things, but I have never seen anything actually happen.
                            Redhat tried that with Bluecurve like 10 years ago. Or is that not what you mean?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                              It did happen from the Qt side. Qt apps will use the active Gtk style under Gnome. They look like Gtk apps. The reverse isn't true, Gtk apps can not use the active Qt style.

                              It's just sad that Gtk does not return the favor here.
                              Probably due to the fact that it is less capable of doing so...(at least properly as there are some oxygen attempts but nowhere near the equivalent to Qt)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X