Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skype Open-Source Update Expected Soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by synthil View Post
    Skype is a nuisance, certainly.

    But can anyone suggest an open-source client that allows you, as a Linux user, to communicate with Windows users, with both voice and video?

    Empathy and Pidgin still only work with Linux-to-Linux in this respect, Qutecom and Ekiga are broken on Windows, and everything else is either too obscure and old, or supports voice only.

    Seriously, if anyone can mention an open-source way of doing this, they will have my gratitude.
    Have you tried using Pidgin or Empathy on the Linux side with the gtalk protocol and Google Voice / Video client through Gmail or iGoogle on the Windows side? This is supposed to be supported by pidgin / empathy now, though I've never tried it myself.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
      Fuck this shit. I'm tired of Skype being three different trees with nothing in common. We need an open-source libskype.
      It should be possible to reverse-engineer skype lite (version is used on j2me phones) and build Skype compatable IM library (without support for voice/video calls).

      Comment


      • #18
        OT: compatable?

        So, what's about this 'compatable' word I keep reading in geek forums, and only in geek forums? Is its proximity to 'computable'? Some slang term neither I nor Urban Dictionary are aware of? Are you guys playing a practical joke on me and the rest of non-native english speakers? Pseudo-technical jargon? Because I have to admit that it almost worked, forcing me to look it up several times to convince myself that, indeed, this word is like totally made up.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by yotambien View Post
          So, what's about this 'compatable' word I keep reading in geek forums, and only in geek forums? Is its proximity to 'computable'? Some slang term neither I nor Urban Dictionary are aware of? Are you guys playing a practical joke on me and the rest of non-native english speakers? Pseudo-technical jargon? Because I have to admit that it almost worked, forcing me to look it up several times to convince myself that, indeed, this word is like totally made up.
          Just a misspelling of 'compatible'. People on the internet suck at spelling. It's a fact

          Comment


          • #20
            So, what's about this 'compatable' word I keep reading in geek forums, and only in geek forums? Is its proximity to 'computable'? Some slang term neither I nor Urban Dictionary are aware of? Are you guys playing a practical joke on me and the rest of non-native english speakers? Pseudo-technical jargon? Because I have to admit that it almost worked, forcing me to look it up several times to convince myself that, indeed, this word is like totally made up.
            Yeah, that unnecessary outburst of disgust must have wasted a good few minutes of your day. Isn't it sad how those minutes just never grow back again?

            Cheers for that Google Video plug-in suggestion, whoever gave it! I'll give it a bash.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              So, what's about this 'compatable' word I keep reading in geek forums, and only in geek forums? Is its proximity to 'computable'? Some slang term neither I nor Urban Dictionary are aware of? Are you guys playing a practical joke on me and the rest of non-native english speakers? Pseudo-technical jargon? Because I have to admit that it almost worked, forcing me to look it up several times to convince myself that, indeed, this word is like totally made up.
              don't you know about "compatability"? it's when something is compatible, but could do better (politely speaking)

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude
                Fuck this shit. I'm tired of Skype being three different trees with nothing in common. We need an open-source libskype.
                i bet it won't come out of skype.

                there are two things that need to be done
                - r.e. that stupid protocol and come up with open library
                - make an independent server

                ah, the wonderful 1min edit limit.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by synthil
                  Yeah, that unnecessary outburst of disgust must have wasted a good few minutes of your day. Isn't it sad how those minutes just never grow back again?
                  I'm only saddened by your lack of judgement, that enabled you to take a valid observation for an "unnecessary outburst of disgust". But I guess you simply disapproved of my off-topic intervention and--not knowing any better--mixed some words together, splashed them in a couple of ready-made phrases and let them do the thinking for you.

                  Originally posted by yoshi314
                  don't you know about "compatability" it's when something is compatible, but could do better (politely speaking)
                  Ah, man. Is that it? Seriously?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    that enabled you to take a valid observation
                    Valid, eh? How can I have a lack of judgement if my observation is valid?

                    Someone no speeks the engliss well?!?!?

                    I'm only saddened by your lack of judgement
                    Rofl, yes. Saddening stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by synthil View Post
                      Valid, eh? How can I have a lack of judgement if my observation is valid?

                      Someone no speeks the engliss well?!?!?


                      You can't read it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                        Kapanga

                        (fucking 10 character limit)
                        thanks, i was hoping for something opensource... but i'm going to try him out on my testrig.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Any updates about the open-source Skype client?

                          Thanks.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Not at the moment, and I doubt we will have soon...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              ok its to soon to ask, but any news there yet?

                              I'm so afraid I'm getting used to empathy... one client for videocalls and messaging

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                No new version since January... that's really silly.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X