Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell 2.29.1 Arrives w/ New Stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME Shell 2.29.1 Arrives w/ New Stuff

    Phoronix: GNOME Shell 2.29.1 Arrives w/ New Stuff

    We are just a few days away from the release of GNOME 2.30 and as such there is a slew of packages being checked in for this final release prior to GNOME 2.32, which will be known as GNOME 3.0 once it arrives in September. GTK+ 2.20 was checked in today along with other GNOME packages now deemed stable, while the GNOME Shell also had its first point release in the 2.29.x series...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA5Mw

  • #2
    Hope there will be some kind of simple mode that disables the effects and just keeps a search bar similar to the one on Win7. GnomeDo is fine but native app is native.

    Comment


    • #3
      What gnome badly needs, is not a 3.0 version, but to fix its present problems

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fermo111 View Post
        What gnome badly needs, is not a 3.0 version, but to fix its present problems
        It is not a either/or situation. A major part of GNOME 3.0 changes are platform improvements that swap existing problematic components with newer and better ones (dconf replacing gconf for example) or consolidating libraries (project ridley) that results in fixes that were not introduced before due to compatibility requirements or risk of regressions being too high.

        So 3.0 is an attempt to fix present problems as much as introducing new features such as GNOME Shell.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm actually really excited about Gnome shell - I was quite skeptical at first looking at the pictures but I tried it in the development version on the next Ubuntu, and I was actually really surprised how usable it is. It does take a bit of getting used to, but it and Mutter are actually really good.

          It is a little rough around the edges still but that's an older version than this one, and there's still a long time before it becomes default.

          The only major problem I think it has is that for new people, it's hard to see what software you already have on your computer. I think you should still be able to have the existing menus somewhere because it's really good for working out what you have on your system, whereas with the search box, you have to know in advance.

          The other thing is the menu on the right side that has the status indicator. I had absolutely no idea that I was supposed to click that to get system preferences and log on/log off/shutdown. It's been a long time when I have wanted to shut down my computer and just had no idea where that option was... System -> Shut Down on the old panel was a little more obvious.

          One last thing - it's pretty easy to flick my mouse to the screen edge to get up the activities, but I think it would be heaps better if I could assign a keyboard shortcut like super-space.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is dconf in for certain?

            Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            It is not a either/or situation. A major part of GNOME 3.0 changes are platform improvements that swap existing problematic components with newer and better ones (dconf replacing gconf for example) or consolidating libraries (project ridley) that results in fixes that were not introduced before due to compatibility requirements or risk of regressions being too high.

            So 3.0 is an attempt to fix present problems as much as introducing new features such as GNOME Shell.
            Last I looked (a week or so ago) there hadn't been a commit since october, IIRC. While dconf is less complicated than gconf, I would be surprised if all the work necessary for 2.32 had been completed by this past october

            Best/Liam

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              So 3.0 is an attempt to fix present problems as much as introducing new features such as GNOME Shell.
              I find Gnome slow, bugged, and unreliable. Far too often I have to delete all my user .config, .local, .gconf, etc., just to have a workable desktop back. Then there are the usability problems: e.g. in Nautilus tree panel, F2 (rename) does not work and I cannot drag and drop. And, most upsetting, I cannot double-click on the left-top window icon to close the window (a long time requested feature).

              Well, I am not going to list all that does not work, but you got the idea.

              Now I wonder if the reason for v3 is to fix all this, or, as I read somewhere, introduce a new interface paradigm. I switched from Windows to Linux, when Microsoft dropped the old Explorer desktop and went the Vista way. True that with Linux I have the choice of more desktop managers, but it is nonetheless upsetting having to change again.

              I hope this is not the case with Gnome v3

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                One last thing - it's pretty easy to flick my mouse to the screen edge to get up the activities, but I think it would be heaps better if I could assign a keyboard shortcut like super-space.
                Super works (i.e pressing the windows key will toggle the overview)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fermo111 View Post
                  I find Gnome slow, bugged, and unreliable. Far too often I have to delete all my user .config, .local, .gconf, etc., just to have a workable desktop back.
                  What the hell? What distro are you using because either their Gnome install is messed up or you've somehow broken it... In four years of running Gnome I've never had a desktop that wasn't 'workable' and never had to delete any of Gnome's configuration files.

                  I'm even running a pre-release version a quarter of the time too!

                  Originally posted by fermo111 View Post
                  F2 (rename) does not work and I cannot drag and drop.
                  They both work for me...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by liam View Post
                    Last I looked (a week or so ago) there hadn't been a commit since october, IIRC. While dconf is less complicated than gconf, I would be surprised if all the work necessary for 2.32 had been completed by this past october

                    Best/Liam
                    I think dconf commits is largely irrelevant. dconf is a core layer. GNOME programs are not going to be using it directly but via GSettings. Nobody expects all the work to be done by oct. It is merely a starting point for the next release.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SkyHiRider View Post
                      Hope there will be some kind of simple mode that disables the effects and just keeps a search bar similar to the one on Win7. GnomeDo is fine but native app is native.
                      I don't think that Gnome Shell will make it for the Gnome 3.0 release. So I think Gnome is still going to default to regular Metacity. Gnome Shell's basic functionality requires composited desktop and such so there really is no way to use that without 3D support and such.

                      Gnome-Do, though, is a native application. GTK-C# is a officially included language in the regular Gnome stuff. Like python and C language support.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by drag View Post
                        I don't think that Gnome Shell will make it for the Gnome 3.0 release. So I think Gnome is still going to default to regular Metacity. Gnome Shell's basic functionality requires composited desktop and such so there really is no way to use that without 3D support and such.

                        Gnome-Do, though, is a native application. GTK-C# is a officially included language in the regular Gnome stuff. Like python and C language support.
                        S basically GnomeDo only uses Gnome libraries and is optimized for gnome(heeds the guidelines for gnome desktop etc..)? I wonder why wasn't it merged into gnome, as it provides a great usability feature.

                        And I'm all enthusiastic about the Shell, but it will be a big scary things for many new users(especially those less tech that are scared of everything new or are thinking of switching), but I guess the Gnome team knows what they're doing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by drag View Post
                          I don't think that Gnome Shell will make it for the Gnome 3.0 release. So I think Gnome is still going to default to regular Metacity. Gnome Shell's basic functionality requires composited desktop and such so there really is no way to use that without 3D support and such.
                          Compositing has nothing to do with 3D, that being said gnome-shell does indeed require OpenGl (and that is not supposed to change) but seriously the attitude should be "fix 3D" not "avoid 3D" ...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                            Nobody expects all the work to be done by oct. It is merely a starting point for the next release.
                            It's a joke isn't it? Isn't Gnome progress dead slow? KDE SC, Windows and OS X will be light years ahead of Gnome in October. Personally I'd feel cheated if I'd be a Gnome user or if I'd have some distro with Gnome being default DE. What's the reason for you as the Red Hat for supporting it? It has your focus, because some of your boss, ex-boss or whatever is a gtk maker? Or maybe there are some real reasons? I'm really curious.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                              It's a joke isn't it? Isn't Gnome progress dead slow? KDE SC, Windows and OS X will be light years ahead of Gnome in October. Personally I'd feel cheated if I'd be a Gnome user or if I'd have some distro with Gnome being default DE. What's the reason for you as the Red Hat for supporting it? It has your focus, because some of your boss, ex-boss or whatever is a gtk maker? Or maybe there are some real reasons? I'm really curious.
                              We support Gnome, because it provides the most sane, intuitive and consistent experience, as well as the best applications in the Linux world. It's that simple, really.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X