Compiz Now Supports KDE 4.4 SC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
    Can't we move this into a compiz bashing thread in the kde/gnome fanboys forums?
    Why? Nobody here is bashing the DE's (in this thread). We are all questioning however questioning yet another braindead effort and waste of resources that compiz has put forward again.

Comment

well, back when compiz was started, there was nothing similar available. Compiz had it's warrant.

Unfortunately it was a new and experimental area and the result was a bit hackish, never quite stable, forked and reorganized a lot. And they didn't care much for integration or usability, just for lots of eye candy.

When moving to KDE 4.x, the KDE devs actually considered using compiz, but found it's window manager part beneath the compositor simply lacking. So instead of taking compiz and adding WM features, they took kwin3 and added eye candy.

Not sure what went on with gnome, but it was probably similar.

By now, compiz is a chaotic code-base that has been surpassed by other WMs. But I'd claim that neither kwin4 nor mutter would be as powerful as they are today if it wasn't for compiz, it's experiments and the knowledge it generated.

So, although I never used it and probably never will: thank you, compiz developers, for everything you did.

Comment

(I use Kwin)

Kwin is less complete than Compiz/Beryl/Compix Fusion/Compiz++/Compiz again. Plugins in Compiz are much better looking. Even the Wobbly windows effect feel nicer. The Fire on close, Aquarium, 3D window in cube and Expose plugings are much better than the KDE ones, I miss them.

But KWin have deep (deeper at each release) integration with Plasma, better tabbing support (as good as in Fluxbox), more future, more WM features, better integration with virutal desktops, finer per window settings and so on. I hope Kwin will become faster and nicer, but features wise, it is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Question is for what? Kwin4 does pretty much everything that Compiz does, and at least in my findings, is far more stable.
          Last time I had problems with Compiz must have been in the 0.6 branch, right now it's quite stable.
          I would mostly use it because I use it right now with gnome and because it has some nice plugins which kwin doesn't.

So, the real question, and that applys for all of open-source, is: Why not?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
            So, the real question, and that applys for all of open-source, is: Why not?!
            well said . So long as it doesnt hurt anyone and the choice is there, why the hell not.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I'm curious to know how many KDE users use compiz, I'd imagine most KDE 4.x folk use kwin instead
              I do... I find it to be much more and customizable than kwin.

Comment

Even the Wobbly windows effect feel nicer.
                That was something I definitely noticed too.

Also, with open-source ATI drivers, some of the kwin effects are unsupported (is the same true for Compiz?).

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
                  (I use Kwin)

Kwin is less complete than Compiz/Beryl/Compix Fusion/Compiz++/Compiz again. Plugins in Compiz are much better looking. Even the Wobbly windows effect feel nicer. The Fire on close, Aquarium, 3D window in cube and Expose plugings are much better than the KDE ones, I miss them.
                  FYI, you can tweak the physics of wobbly windows in KDE to make it act very close if not exactly the same. You can also have the windows hover above the cube for KDE as well with Kwin 4.4.

Comment

Also, Michael, should that be KDE Plasma Desktop 4.4 (instead of KDE SC 4.4)?

Comment

FYI, you can tweak the physics of wobbly windows in KDE to make it act very close if not exactly the same.
                      I'll look at that, thanks.

"Mutter" (german "mother" - what a ridiculous name for a WM, but whatever)
                      Metacity with Clutter = Mutter :P

Comment

Why use Compiz instead of Kwin?

Well, Compiz has more effects, etc. And a bit more polish as well.

But the biggest plus is the fact that you can use mouse buttons to control the way Compiz works. Say, fading a windows opacity, or when using zoom, etc.

When using KWin, and you want to zoom into the desktop you have to use keyboard shortcuts. At least you did up till 4.3.2 (Haven't tried KWin with 4.4 SC yet)

I'm surprised just how good KWin is, but I don't think it has feature parity with Compiz yet, and if the KDE 4.4 window decorator support brings KDE window tabbing into Compiz then that would be pretty awesome.

Comment

All of what you mentioned can be done with kwin too.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                            All of what you mentioned can be done with kwin too.
                            When did KDE add support for mouse button control of KWin effects, etc.

It certainly wasn't in there as of KDE 4.3.2.

There were hacks you could use to get around it by using background programs to remap mouse clicks, etc. into keyboard sequences but this doesn't really count as standard support.

Comment

I remember stuff like "Shift+MouseWheel to fade in/out" being in KWin since ages.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                                I remember stuff like "Shift+MouseWheel to fade in/out" being in KWin since ages.
                                I think you're thinking of Compiz, not KWin.

Try it out under KWin and let me know what you find.

My current system with KDE 4.4 SC still wont allow me to assign mouse based shortcuts to the Zoom efect for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X