Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Up The Linux Graphics Driver Stack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    I for one like how the images are the old, normal way here. No crap that sometimes loads or not, shows the pics scaled or in wrong aspect ratio, or just gets in the way.

    Comment


    • #12
      No-one builds the whole of X anymore.
      I beg to differ, Luc! I just did a couple days ago... but it was a pain. Is there a document somewhere that tracks which versions of modules are compatible?

      The autoconf scripts tend to take care of minimum versions, but when you want to build an older xorg-server so you can use the catalyst drivers, it's useful to know the maximums...

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by airlied View Post
        Unichrome doesn't have a kernel drm or mesa driver component.

        Shipping drivers and expecting your users to enable the functionality they want with an xorg.conf is also fail, (radeonhd might have DRI enabled now).

        This talk held nothing of interest really. *yawn*.

        Intel ship releases every quarter with the recommended components are tested together, this stuff doesn't need to be in one tree, shipping out of tree kernel modules is also fail.

        Dave.
        Just to be clear, I am not implying that I agree with Luc's method completely. But I do, however, agree -- as most people should -- that the status quo could certainly be improved with regard to building and packaging the different components.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Nothing is likely to change... It was basically discounted by other developers as either something tried and didn't work, don't care it's a problem, Unichrome is totally different from -intel, all we care about are features and performance, etc.
          I'm not saying about specific cards or drivers, what I care about are also features and performances of the whole graphics stack.

          Comment


          • #15
            @Michael

            My humble suggestion for improving Phoronix. Add some sort of image browsing, when you attach pictures to the articles. Clicking on each thumbnail and having a new tab opened each time, is somewhat annoying.

            Ciao
            Matteo
            Netrunner Linux - Rolling Release ; Nexus 5 ROM Chroma 5.1 ; NAS 6TB on FreeNAS

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
              @Michael

              My humble suggestion for improving Phoronix. Add some sort of image browsing, when you attach pictures to the articles. Clicking on each thumbnail and having a new tab opened each time, is somewhat annoying.

              Ciao
              Matteo
              Including some form of annotation... I didn't really want to wait for a video to know what was being said about the slides (and nor do I really want to sit through a video when I can simply scan over text!)

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Nothing is likely to change... It was basically discounted by other developers as either something tried and didn't work, don't care it's a problem, Unichrome is totally different from -intel, all we care about are features and performance, etc.
                Another mis-characterization. I'm really sorry I missed this session. We work hard on stability and robustness; if you look back at our release notes you'll see quite a focus on that especially recently. And yes, we also add features desired by our users and customers, and do performance work required to make new features work. It's not an either/or proposition, we have users demanding all three.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by stan View Post
                  Luc is a talented coder for hardware drivers, but unfortunately his work doesn't get into distro user's hands often because of his penchant to fork projects. The forks end up abandoned by everyone else (unichrome and radeonhd come to mind), probably because of his inflexible attitude (it's his way or the highway). He'd make a much bigger impact if he learned to coordinate with other FOSS programmers (we're all on the same team!) and accept some compromises.
                  I am never the one who forks, and i am always the one who ends up getting proven right in the end.

                  Maybe, just maybe, i am the one who see things way before others even want to consider the same things.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by airlied View Post
                    Unichrome doesn't have a kernel drm or mesa driver component.

                    Shipping drivers and expecting your users to enable the functionality they want with an xorg.conf is also fail, (radeonhd might have DRI enabled now).

                    This talk held nothing of interest really. *yawn*.

                    Intel ship releases every quarter with the recommended components are tested together, this stuff doesn't need to be in one tree, shipping out of tree kernel modules is also fail.

                    Dave.
                    Thank you for being right within my expectation.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by libv View Post
                      I am never the one who forks, and i am always the one who ends up getting proven right in the end.

                      Maybe, just maybe, i am the one who see things way before others even want to consider the same things.
                      unichrome not a fork? seriously? you wrote it all from scratch?

                      I musta missed that bit.

                      So radeonhd was a good idea now? the community you built up around it like unichrome seems to have sustained it well when Novell decided development of it wasn't going to give them any advantage over anyone else.

                      Dave.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X