Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE SC 4.4 Gets Its Final Release Candidate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE SC 4.4 Gets Its Final Release Candidate

    Phoronix: KDE SC 4.4 Gets Its Final Release Candidate

    While KDE SC 4.4 RC2 should have been the last release candidate for the KDE 4.4 Software Compilation, a third and final release candidate has been offered. The KDE SC 4.4 release managers deemed another RC necessary after bugs (and fixes) continued to flow in following the RC2 release.The KDE SC 4.4 RC3 release announcement can be read at KDE.org...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk0NQ

  • #2
    This mostly deals with issues introduced with Qt 4.6.1.

    Comment


    • #3
      You mean issues introduced with qt 4.6.0 ?

      Comment


      • #4
        No, by Qt 4.6.1. KDE 4.4 doesn't support 4.5 at all.

        Comment


        • #5
          I hear it's recommended to use Qt 4.6.1 as with 4.6.0, Plasma crashes from time to time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Lol, Gnome sucks!

            No, wait, wrong thread. Err, I meant KDE should take their time to fix blocker bugs before pushing out 4.4. No point in rushing for final, with major downstream users at least 2 months away from release.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Lol, Gnome sucks!

              No, wait, wrong thread.
              No, it's the right one. That's what it's going to "evolve" into anyway

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Lol, Gnome sucks!

                No, wait, wrong thread. Err, I meant KDE should take their time to fix blocker bugs before pushing out 4.4. No point in rushing for final, with major downstream users at least 2 months away from release.
                Of course they should. Btw. what blocker bugs do you mean? If the one about crashing plasma it seems it only happens with QT 4.6.0.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Of course they should. Btw. what blocker bugs do you mean? If the one about crashing plasma it seems it only happens with QT 4.6.0.
                  Don't know, sounds like a blocker bug to me. This list has some other interesting stuff, although I can't be bothered to check which of those affect 4.4.

                  In any case, my point was that they should release when they feel it's ready rather than push a 4.4.0 release now and a 4.4.1 in two weeks. That's what release candidates are for, anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Don't know, sounds like a blocker bug to me.
                    Qt 4.6.1 is out and fixes those bugs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is playing HTML5 theora videos supported? I tried it with Ubuntu Lucid, but while it works with Firefox it still doesn't work with Konqueror. I thought it should have supported starting from 4.4.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by krazy View Post
                        Qt 4.6.1 is out and fixes those bugs.
                        Yeah it does, which is why they delayed the final release. All I'm saying is that's a good thing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                          Is playing HTML5 theora videos supported? I tried it with Ubuntu Lucid, but while it works with Firefox it still doesn't work with Konqueror. I thought it should have supported starting from 4.4.
                          I'm on 4.4 RC3 with Qt 4.6.1 and HTML5 videos seem to work, although very buggy (especially the playback controls.) However, most sites won't allow you to watch them; they don't have Konqueror in their "allow" list and you get a message that says to download a compatible browser :P

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                            Is playing HTML5 theora videos supported? I tried it with Ubuntu Lucid, but while it works with Firefox it still doesn't work with Konqueror. I thought it should have supported starting from 4.4.
                            Works for me as well, but buggy as RealNC already mentioned. If you want a site that does no checks on useragent-string or similiar, I just a few days ago uploaded a Ogg-Video to my site just for fun: http://www.zhick.de/index.php?q=node/3 (yaya shameless-self-plug :P there's absolutely zero content on it anyway).
                            But even thought it's still buggy, there's one beautiful thing about Konqueror video-tag implementation: They use Phonon, which in turn can use both gstreamer and xine, which can both be build/configured to support h264. So Konqueror is probably the first FOSS-browser with support for h264 (Chrome doesn't count as h264-support is only included in the closed-source version). Unfortunately it doesn't work on youtube yet, but that might be due to useragent-string checking or stuff like that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                              But even thought it's still buggy, there's one beautiful thing about Konqueror video-tag implementation: They use Phonon, which in turn can use both gstreamer and xine, which can both be build/configured to support h264.
                              I think you've just made my day

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X