Nautilus Begins To Change For GNOME 3.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Didn't you just post the same type of comment about Ubuntu? Why so negative? Have a coke and a
    Check a few of the other Ubuntu- and Gnome-related threads on the forums and you'll see what I mean. This is maybe the first such thread that's made it to the second page without flames from the "other" side.

I don't know whether to take that second comment as sarcasm or honest criticism. You confused me, and I don't like it.
    Nope, that's honest criticism. Most major distros other than Fedora ship with browser mode enable, so I believe it makes sense to change the default setting to that.

Comment

would it be possible to get rid of empathy and evolution?
      empathy doesnt have quite the features as pidgin (although pidgin missed several incoming messages...)
      and evolution... well i dont use mailing programs, therefore i dont need it, but i cant delete it without cutting down half of gnome along with it.
      also when i used gentoo (and i probably will again) evolution updates took up to ca. 2 hours! for a program i wont use!
      same goes for bluetooth... (maybe it changed, but whats the big idea of bringing in such dependencies anyway...)

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        would it be possible to get rid of empathy and evolution?
        empathy doesnt have quite the features as pidgin (although pidgin missed several incoming messages...)
        and evolution... well i dont use mailing programs, therefore i dont need it, but i cant delete it without cutting down half of gnome along with it.
        also when i used gentoo (and i probably will again) evolution updates took up to ca. 2 hours! for a program i wont use!
        same goes for bluetooth... (maybe it changed, but whats the big idea of bringing in such dependencies anyway...)
        Most package managers should be able to do that. For example, on Arch you can opt to not even install Evolution in the first place (but install the rest of the desktop).

Comment

Hurray! After so many years... Now I'm waiting for change KDE default one mouse click behaviour

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Creating a folder only takes 0.03 seconds (on my computer), so "waiting for the disk action" is not the reason, or, if it is then nautilus has a very very bad/slow implementation of the "waiting for the disk action".

Preemptive response: And no, the time to update the GUI/Gtk+ interface doesn't count either, cause also happens very fast.

Maybe your distro sucks?

When I go and open something that contains a lot of files like /lib/ or something my nautilus displays everything as soon as the window opens up, which is pretty much immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Nope, that's honest criticism. Most major distros other than Fedora ship with browser mode enable, so I believe it makes sense to change the default setting to that.

The only major one that I know of that ships with browser mode by default is Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                Maybe your distro sucks?

When I go and open something that contains a lot of files like /lib/ or something my nautilus displays everything as soon as the window opens up, which is pretty much immediately.
                Same here, only issue I sometimes have is with Samba being slow. Maybe you have some odd configurations or something.

Comment

I don't get all the hate for the Gnome menu. It's one of the major things I like about Gnome and just makes sense. What's simpler than applications, places and system? All the other "slab" type menus just seem like a hassle and make it harder to get to what you want. I didn't like Kickoff or the classic KDE menu in KDE4 that much either. I haven't looked much into Gnome 3.0 but hopefully they'll have a similar menu.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                    The only major one that I know of that ships with browser mode by default is Ubuntu.
                    OpenSUSE does, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X