Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 Released, Finally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 Released, Finally

    Phoronix: Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 Released, Finally

    At long last, Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 has been officially released. Thunderbird 2.0 was released about two and a half years ago (April 2007) and while Mozilla Firefox has sped along with a number of releases in the 3.x series, Thunderbird has not...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzc4Mw

  • #2
    Is it me, or does Mozilla treat Thunderbird as an afterthought? I mean the update from 2.0 to 3.0 took what, two-and-a-half years?

    Bah, I've changed to evolution since then, but the tabbed interface looks interesting. I might have to give this a go.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Is it me, or does Mozilla treat Thunderbird as an afterthought? I mean the update from 2.0 to 3.0 took what, two-and-a-half years?

      Bah, I've changed to evolution since then, but the tabbed interface looks interesting. I might have to give this a go.
      Most developers worked on Firefox after Thunderbird 2.0 was released. But since earlier this year, they have accelerated the development of Thunderbird again and already plan to release 3.1 in the not too distant future.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Most developers worked on Firefox after Thunderbird 2.0 was released. But since earlier this year, they have accelerated the development of Thunderbird again and already plan to release 3.1 in the not too distant future.
        Good to hear. Hope it doesn't take another 2 years for a refresh (we want shiny new features, dammit!)

        Comment


        • #5
          I gave up on e-mail clients a long time ago.

          IMO, Thunderbird 3 should be what Raindrop wants to be =)

          Comment


          • #6
            What's in the name? Thunderbird 2 series was already quite polished piece of software and at the same time we're talking about very mature technology. You could argue that development of Gecko mandated the parallel development of FF & TB series 1 and 2, however, I think that web browser is more of a challenge than an e-mail client. I've installed TB 3 and consider it nothing more than an light evolution step. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a positive thing.

            Comment


            • #7
              PPA?

              If Ubuntu's Gods don't give us TB3 through normal 9.10 package updates, & I think they normally don't until the next release, can I get it through a PPA or something that doesn't involve manually installing it? I try to stick to apt.

              Comment


              • #8
                There's this, but.. daily builds =/

                https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill...y/+archive/ppa

                and it will probably pull firefox packages along.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Nuts, I wanted to avoid problems. Unless there's a reasonably stable TB3 repository I guess I'll just have to do it manually. Thanks anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "and much more"

                    Oh come come, there's only a few more insignificant things, otherwise you would have listed them.

                    Can't wait to give this a go, was waiting for this. For one thing, traditional email clients allow you to get mail from several different accounts at once, something that web mail interfaces won't let you do (if you are using Gmail and the like, for instance). It can be a nice way to have all your email be centralized.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Been using it since the first beta. Quite solid. And looks a bit better too; Gtk styles are followed more correctly (just like in FF3 vs FF2), probably due to the updated Gecko/Xulrunner. The new features aren't that useful to me though. What was useful, was the flawless import of all my TB 2.x email.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                        Been using it since the first beta. Quite solid. And looks a bit better too; Gtk styles are followed more correctly (just like in FF3 vs FF2), probably due to the updated Gecko/Xulrunner. The new features aren't that useful to me though. What was useful, was the flawless import of all my TB 2.x email.
                        +1

                        Additionally, I love the feature where imap folders with *new* unread messages are highlighted, this is a real time saver for mailing lists and the like.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mozilla Thunderbird 3 0 Released Finally

                          me too

                          Thanks Chris for the custom icon on contacts grid, now the grid have the same nice effect when pressed like programs grid. Im happy

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X