Canonical Unveils The Ubuntu Software Store

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feech View Post
    "they are hoping to have improved sharing and tracking of software within the Ubuntu Software Store and the abilities to see what software your friends may have installed"

Oh yeah, they have found the missing piece.
    You can also just uncheck that. Isn't this asked upon startup if one wants to participate in such survey in order for the Ubuntu devs to see where the biggest quality control should go to?

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      The Ubuntu store should be a place where you can buy slices of a project/program which will be open source upon release or whatnot, or where you can pay for small features to an existing program to be added and then open sourced. Ideally that's what the future should be, is paying developers directly or nearly directly for their work, just as any other artist or laborer takes commissions now days.
      I like this idea. It probably wouldn't work for every project, but it worked for Blender. Open source developers need more money-making tools in our collective kits that still allow us to provide the freedom to learn from and expand the software we make.

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      I doubt they'd put any non-free applications on the store anyway. Designing a safe system for money transaction isn't trivial.
      Nobody has to design a safe system for money transaction these days, since that's already been done by PayPal, PayFlow, and dozens of other systems that provide a secure API to application developers for conducting financial transactions. Run your server with the strongest encryption, hire a competent security-conscious web developer, and the rest is trivial (by comparison).

Comment

The whole application store concept is a good one. I worked on early versions of a similar dpkg-based effort back in 2001 called Click-n-Run. Now that Apple has proven the concept can be successful, it's appropriate for another Linux distribution to try again. Since Ubuntu, and Linux in general, have more clout than my former employer did back in 2001, I hope this effort will be successful, and developers like myself will have an additional avenue for writing Free software for a living (even if it's software-for-ransom style).

Comment

Working...
        X