Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pidgin 2.6 Released, Brings Voice & Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Things tend to depend on the point of view and Linux users for some weird reason seem to see the world as if they were paying customers. Strange, huh?
    Actually many are way more demanding than paying customers ;-)

    Comment


    • #17
      Empathy's lack of support for meta-contacts is pretty annoying. It's also very far down in the future on their roadmap, which is even more annoying... So far pidgin does what I want. Too bad I still have to keep Ekiga and Skype around though. I'd prefer to drop skype...

      Comment


      • #18
        Would it now be possible to make a libpurple plugin for Skype?

        Comment


        • #19
          It will be a cold day in hell when Skype's protocol gets reverse engineered. I wouldn't mind if such encrypted secret protocols were made illegal.

          A better idea would be to have an alternative become popular. But that will need some major marketing effort.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Remco View Post
            I wouldn't mind if such encrypted secret protocols were made illegal.
            Actually imo it's a good thing that VOIP communication gets encrypted when traveling over the Internet. It's just slightly frustrating that Skype goes through the "security through obscurity" approach and doesn't tell anyone else what they actually do... Ergo no third-party clients.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Things tend to depend on the point of view and Linux users for some weird reason seem to see the world as if they were paying customers. Strange, huh?
              I'll pay. I use Linux (Kubuntu currently) because I like quality software, not because I am cheap. I would gladly pay if it meant that the devs would give a shit about the features or bug fixes I file.

              Comment


              • #22
                my opinion is that if they had just made this sort of an effort sooner, empathy may not have gained the userbase it did
                pity, I liked pidgin....

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  my opinion is that if they had just made this sort of an effort sooner, empathy may not have gained the userbase it did
                  pity, I liked pidgin....
                  I agree, but like this we have now one more nice IM

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
                    I'll pay. I use Linux (Kubuntu currently) because I like quality software, not because I am cheap. I would gladly pay if it meant that the devs would give a shit about the features or bug fixes I file.
                    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/servic...ktopcomparison

                    or hire a freelancer

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Has anyone actually gotten this to work? So far I've tried using two diffrent Jabber servers and two different computers with two different accounts and the exact same software, and I can't get it to work. The voice/video options stays grayed out for me. BTW XMPP is all I care about, the proprietary protocols that lock you into a single server and keep breaking compatibility with third-party programs is really annoying. XMPP/Jabber/GTalk gives you much more freedom.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Pidgin and Empathy are the top IM programs? So, I should use one instead of Kopete? Kopete has recently been giving me headaches (well, it's NOT working for me) so I wanted to try an alternative.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Does video/audio work well, I mean without artefacts on a normal computer?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Panix View Post
                            Pidgin and Empathy are the top IM programs? So, I should use one instead of Kopete? Kopete has recently been giving me headaches (well, it's NOT working for me) so I wanted to try an alternative.
                            Well, it depends also what desktop environment you use. If you don't mind though to install a lot of libraries if you don't use gnome, then you can always give a try. I, at least, find Pidgin very useable.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                              Well, it depends also what desktop environment you use. If you don't mind though to install a lot of libraries if you don't use gnome, then you can always give a try. I, at least, find Pidgin very useable.
                              I just tried it and NOTHING! It just displays, 'Available - Connecting' forever and I can't add anyone. Looks like yet another POS IM program in Linux!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Panix View Post
                                I just tried it and NOTHING! It just displays, 'Available - Connecting' forever and I can't add anyone. Looks like yet another POS IM program in Linux!
                                Well, that's odd, but if you say that even kopete doesn't work for you maybe you make a common mistake in your configuration.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X