Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pidgin 2.6 Released, Brings Voice & Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pidgin 2.6 Released, Brings Voice & Video

    Phoronix: Pidgin 2.6 Released, Brings Voice & Video

    The Pidgin instant messaging program has been losing some ground recently to GNOME's Empathy program as more Linux distributions switch to using this newer instant messaging application. Pidgin 2.5 was released just under one year ago, but arriving today is Pidgin 2.6, which may help in winning over more users...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQ2Ng

  • #2
    Wtf. I never thought i'd see the day after the death of the gaim-vv project....

    I wonder if this happened in light of empathy being chosen for all the major distros as the default im client?

    Comment


    • #3
      i think empathy is based on libpurple (not 100% sure thought)

      Comment


      • #4
        Great news! I hope to test it and that others will test it in spite of the new wave of empathy.

        Comment


        • #5
          it's unfortunate, but I've lost a lot of respect for the pidgin devs.
          I remember them complaining about not wanting to do audio/video support, and how it wasn't a priority etc..

          WELL, it looks like they're pulling a microsoft (i.e. improving something ONLY because the competition is beating you - like internet explorer)

          It seems Pidgin has only improved because soon they won't be used anymore.
          With Ubuntu switching to empathy (as default), that's a huge difference in market share

          Comment


          • #6
            Actually every distro is switching to empathy, because empathy has been chosen as the Gnome's default IM.

            Comment


            • #7
              So what if Ubuntu is moving to empathy? What devs include in distros by default is not always what users want/need. Ubuntu has a 6 months release cycle, so if not enough "new" features are introduced, a new IM client is a good way distract users from that.
              Furthermore let's not forget about Debian (Mr. "stable") and Fedora (Mr. "new features") for example, who still have Pidgin by default.

              I do not really see a problem with the introduction of audio/video. They introduce these features to make Pidgin more universal. And yes, if it was not for competition we would not know such word as "PROGRESS" which (usually) bring us something good.
              But of course, according to SyXbit "improving something ONLY because the competition is beating you" is bad :-D

              -Are playing chess (tennis, go, whatever) only to beat you friend? - Oh, I hate you! Go away, you are acting like MS
              LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                Nice! XMPP video is the only thing I need at the moment, since all those I regularly talk with are on Google Talk. Of course, Google Talk might use a different video protocol than XMPP... I read something about that.
                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                i think empathy is based on libpurple (not 100% sure thought)
                Empathy is based on Telepathy. It does have support for libpurple protocols (I think).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Remco View Post
                  Empathy is based on Telepathy. It does have support for libpurple protocols (I think).
                  If you install telepathy-haze, then yes

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Goody, I didn't want to try empathy that much (keeping my system as gnome-free and kde-free as possible).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sweet fancy Moses! I thought this would NEVER happen.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                        it's unfortunate, but I've lost a lot of respect for the pidgin devs.
                        I remember them complaining about not wanting to do audio/video support, and how it wasn't a priority etc..

                        WELL, it looks like they're pulling a microsoft (i.e. improving something ONLY because the competition is beating you - like internet explorer)

                        It seems Pidgin has only improved because soon they won't be used anymore.

                        (Pidgin developer here)

                        That's not really true. The current VV work started as 2008's GSoC project, but since it's basically one guy's effort it just took a long time. Pidgin is almost entirely volunteer based, so people tend to work on things that they want to work on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kcheung View Post
                          (Pidgin developer here)

                          That's not really true. The current VV work started as 2008's GSoC project, but since it's basically one guy's effort it just took a long time. Pidgin is almost entirely volunteer based, so people tend to work on things that they want to work on.
                          Things tend to depend on the point of view and Linux users for some weird reason seem to see the world as if they were paying customers. Strange, huh?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have tested empathy a few weeks ago but I couldn't see any advantages over pdigin. In fact it even couldn't handle file transfer and Video was XMPP only.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Remco View Post
                              Nice! XMPP video is the only thing I need at the moment, since all those I regularly talk with are on Google Talk. Of course, Google Talk might use a different video protocol than XMPP... I read something about that.
                              Google talk interoperability is still sort of hit-or-miss depends on what version of the dependent libraries you have. Using Ubuntu Jaunty and some packages from karmic I was able to view someones webcam who was using the windows web client, but the other side couldn't see mine. Audio seems to work too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X