• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 2.28 Beta Arrives, Release Next Month

Phoronix: GNOME 2.28 Beta Arrives, Release Next Month

W..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQ0OQ

is gnome 2.30 really gonna be called gnome 3.0? We don't bump up major version number for no reason, wonder what do they get in their sleeves

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
      is gnome 2.30 really gonna be called gnome 3.0? We don't bump up major version number for no reason, wonder what do they get in their sleeves
      Well it's no secret: Gnome Shell (that is going to go beta next week) and Zeitgeist. Those are the base for Gnome 3.0 and should bring a revolutionary user model and a new way to manage documents.

Comment

Originally posted by vinc View Post
        Well it's no secret: Gnome Shell (that is going to go beta next week) and Zeitgeist. Those are the base for Gnome 3.0 and should bring a revolutionary user model and a new way to manage documents.
        I haven't seen anything in the Gnome 3.0 roadmap that I would exactly call "revolutionary". It's more of a gradual evolution. I think Ryan Paul over at Arsetechnica summed it up well:

Unlike KDE 4.0, which produced impressive innovation and accelerated development at the cost of user trust and overall desktop stability, the GNOME 3.0 plan is less ambitious, largely builds on the GNOME desktop environment's current strategy, and avoids significant user-visible changes or disruption to basic desktop usability.

Comment

gtk3? That might be a good call.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            Yuppers, http://blogs.gnome.org/lucasr/2008/07/10/gnome-30/

Comment

"avoid visible changes" ?!

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              ...and avoids significant user-visible changes...
              When I see the current Gnome Shell and how it works, I fail to see how he can say that.
              http://people.igalia.com/apinheiro/f...ities-view.png
              But wait, it seems this Arstechnica's article is a year old now...
              Last edited by spykes; 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                When I see the current Gnome Shell and how it works, I fail to see how he can say that.
                http://people.igalia.com/apinheiro/f...ities-view.png
                But wait, it seems this Arstechnica's article is a year old now...
                Gnome shell doesn't offer much more then current desktop workspaces. Again nothing really revolutionary here as other OS's / de's have offered similar features for quite some time now.

Comment

Gnome shell doesn't offer much more then current desktop workspaces. Again nothing really revolutionary here as other OS's / de's have offered similar features for quite some time now.
                  The same can be said of KDE4 in this case. Anyway, the visual changes are already there, so the previous statement is no more really valid.
                  Last edited by spykes; 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

The same can be said of KDE4 in this case. Anyway, the visual changes are already there, so the previous statement is no more really valid.
                    Well compared to the complete revamp from scratch of KDE's subsystems, Gnomes changes are less aggressive and carry a relatively small delta compared to KDE 4's goals. There isn't too much legacy code in KDE 4.

Comment

Well compared to the complete revamp from scratch of KDE's subsystems, Gnomes changes are less aggressive and carry a relatively small delta compared to KDE 4's goals. There isn't too much legacy code in KDE 4.
                      Most of the things changed in KDE4 are not visible by the end user as well. In term of UI design, KDE4 has not changed much of the previous known paradigm in KDE3.
                      The underlying technology used by Gnome 3.0 may not have a total redesign (despite the use of new components like clutter, vala and other things) but the changes will be more visible from a user point of view.

Comment

Most of the things changed in KDE4 are not visible by the end user as well. In term of UI design, KDE4 has not changed much of the previous known paradigm in KDE3.
                        The underlying technology used by Gnome 3.0 may not have a total redesign (despite the use of new components like clutter, vala and other things) but the changes will be more visible from a user point of view.
                        What?!? Have you seriously even looked at a KDE 4.x screen compared to a KDE 3 screen? Seriously, have you?

Comment

What?!? Have you seriously even looked at a KDE 4.x screen compared to a KDE 3 screen? Seriously, have you?
                          Yes, and I've even tested it. You always have a menu/task bar, with small desktop radars etc... What I mean, is that the global UI design always uses old paradigms inherited from Windows.
                          With Gnome Shell, Gnome people are trying to change the way we use the desktop, using new paradigms in term of UI design. They are taking a risk in this area, and that's something which defer from the approach used by the KDE team.

Comment

Yes, and I've even tested it. You always have a menu/task bar, with small desktop radars etc... What I mean, is that the global UI design always uses old paradigms inherited from Windows.
                            With Gnome Shell, Gnome people are trying to change the way we use the desktop, using new paradigms in term of UI design. They are taking a risk in this area, and that's something which defer from the approach used by the KDE team.
                            Small desktop radars are not required. You can use the cloned "expose/spaces" features in KDE 4 as well. With KDE 4 you simply have more options of setting it up "the way you want". Hell even the whole idea of a "traditional" desktop is not default. KDE requires no menu bar as well (hasn't for a long time).

I'm sorry but some of these "revelutionary features of Gnome 3.0" can be found in desktop's dating back to the Amiga and Atari circa 1985.
                            Last edited by deanjo; 08-13-2009, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Small desktop radars are not required. You can use the cloned "expose/spaces" features in KDE 4 as well.
                              Still another paradigm from OS/X...
                              I'm sorry but some of these "revelutionary features of Gnome 3.0" can be found in desktop's dating back to the Amiga and Atari circa 1985.
                              As it's still under heavy development, I think it's a bit early to say that for the time being... Nothing is definitive for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X