Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.1.27 Released With New Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.1.27 Released With New Support

Three weeks have passed since the release of Wine 1.1.26, but having an extra week has not led to any particularly great changes within the just-released 1.1.27 version. What has changed in Wine 1.1.27 is a new version of the Gecko web rendering engine, GSM 06.10 codec support, improved support for the disk volume APIs, and support for XShm pixmaps to improve the graphics performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You will be amazed how cool each release is, if you read through the bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      You will be amazed how cool each release is, if you read through the bug fixes.
      You know what? I thought I was the only person that found himself annoyed by the summary. Slanted journalism is really becoming a problem on phoronix because they're constantly minimizing the importance of bug fixing.

Any sane person would trade 3 bug fixes for one new feature. The funny part is most of Wine's progress is measured by getting Windows apps to work properly - which equates to bug fixes.

Comment

Yes, it is unbelievable the bugs they fix.

Imagine first have to debug binary code, and then reverse engineer it, and then write WINE code that talks to the binary blob in the right way.

Just read some of the bug titles. It is so impressive that they are able to fix these obscure bugs.

I am also one of those that don't care one bit about Linux gaming. So what if a game is ported to Linux. That doesn't change anything.

What I do care about is WINE being able to play a game, that it wasn't before! That's news!

Comment

Anyone that is porting games to Linux, should stop what they are doing, and start working on WINE.

When WINE in complete, Linux users can play ALL Windows games, and not having to wait for someone to port it.

Comment

For OpenGL games that should be already true as for example Doom 3 via wine is not much slower than native. D3D however is often much slower (and more complex). Then a highend 3d card delivers the speed of a lowend one.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
              Anyone that is porting games to Linux, should stop what they are doing, and start working on WINE.

When WINE in complete, Linux users can play ALL Windows games, and not having to wait for someone to port it.
              1. Huh?
              2. Wine will never be finished because windows is always changing.
              3. D3D
              4. We dont need an emulator OS
              5. I cant play COD4 over wine, I can but its too slow to compete.
              6. Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                1. Huh?
                2. Wine will never be finished because windows is always changing.
                3. D3D
                4. We dont need an emulator OS
                5. I cant play COD4 over wine, I can but its too slow to compete.
                6. Huh?
                I would tend to agree with Louise, with a couple of caveats.
                1. Unless the full source code of a game is available to those wanting to do porting, the effort is pretty futile.
                2. Actually, Windows has so much "legacy" support, that it really doesn't change all that much between versions. See wine myth #3.1
                3. Even if the code is available, if the game uses D3D then all those calls have to be "converted" to their OpenGL equivalents. However one improvement in Wine's D3D support can, by proxy, improve the gaming experience in many hundreds of games on linux, without the enormous effort (and bank balance) required to port a game.
                4. Wine is not an emulator. This isn't just a cute recursive acronym, it's actually a description of the program. See wine myth #1.
                5. COD4 obviously runs into some bugs in Wine on your system. It would probably be more efficient to investigate the slowdowns in Wine, rather than port the entire game to Linux.

The only case where I think it is a good use of resources to port games to linux is where the game's source is available, and it doesn't use D3D.

Of course, if companies like Aspyr want to go through the effort of porting a game, good for them

Comment

I can't believe what you are saying? Wine is a good alternative yes, but I would much rather play a native game.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
                    Unless the full source code of a game is available to those wanting to do porting, the effort is pretty futile.
                    Thats a business several people have put their hands into and last time I checked their hands are full.
                    Actually, Windows has so much "legacy" support, that it really doesn't change all that much between versions. See wine myth #3.1
                    Just 1 problem, thats setup by wine itself. I could post that L33F3R is the worlds best basketball player on l33f3r.com but self credibility isnt credible. Regardless of credibility 3.1 explains how its easier to add dll's ect. Not provide so much legacy support. If i wanted old crap to work I would install dosbox but the software I NEED to work under linux cannot and will not work under wine. For some programs it has been that way for as long as I have used linux. For example, I can only use 3DSMAX version 7 and prior.
                    Even if the code is available, if the game uses D3D then all those calls have to be "converted" to their OpenGL equivalents. However one improvement in Wine's D3D support can, by proxy, improve the gaming experience in many hundreds of games on linux, without the enormous effort (and bank balance) required to port a game.
                    But you take a performance hit, and a big one. With every DX release it gets heavier and heavier. I have noticed this first hand, even with hardware upgrades over the years.
                    Wine is not an emulator. This isn't just a cute recursive acronym, it's actually a description of the program. See wine myth #1.
                    Your right, its not. But it can best be compared to one.
                    COD4 obviously runs into some bugs in Wine on your system. It would probably be more efficient to investigate the slowdowns in Wine, rather than port the entire game to Linux.
                    The only case where I think it is a good use of resources to port games to linux is where the game's source is available, and it doesn't use D3D.
                    COD4 just takes a D3D performance hit. I have what may be the ideal system for running wine apps. I get things working alot better then most people so if something doesnt work well for me then most likely it doesnt work well for others.

Comment

Working...
                    X