Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 1.1.27 Released With New Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by tball View Post
    I can't believe what you are saying? Wine is a good alternative yes, but I would much rather play a native game.
    Actually technically Wine is a neat wrapper for closed source programs since if the game was a native Linux game, the company would sooner or later give up on updates and then the game would break due to ABI compatibility issues. With Wine people there's the opensource community writing updates so it will keep being compatible with the newest and shiniest Linux releases. The programs are coded against WinAPI and thus they will keep working as long as Wine is maintained and regressions get fixed.
    Note that I'm not saying native Linux games are by any means bad. I'm just saying there's more than one point of view on it that has sound reasoning.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      But you take a performance hit, and a big one. With every DX release it gets heavier and heavier. I have noticed this first hand, even with hardware upgrades over the years.
      You're right. We're in time going to need something that doesn't require going over OpenGL.

      Comment


      • #13
        Wine is pretty much only useful for Games. For anything else it makes more sense to use VMWare/VirtualBox/etc.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Actually technically Wine is a neat wrapper for closed source programs since if the game was a native Linux game, the company would sooner or later give up on updates and then the game would break due to ABI compatibility issues. With Wine people there's the opensource community writing updates so it will keep being compatible with the newest and shiniest Linux releases. The programs are coded against WinAPI and thus they will keep working as long as Wine is maintained and regressions get fixed.
          Note that I'm not saying native Linux games are by any means bad. I'm just saying there's more than one point of view on it that has sound reasoning.
          Great if your running microsoft word but as far as heavier 3D apps are concerned, it helps if wine is able to run them to well enough begin with. Your point is very valid if wine was perfect and applications actually ran well on it but in all honesty most applications dont run on wine and the ones that do have bugs, destroyed features or slow frame rates. Maybe it will break compatibilty (even though I have never had this issue, ever) but I like my software working for me, not me working for my software.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            Maybe it will break compatibilty (even though I have never had this issue, ever) but I like my software working for me, not me working for my software.
            Never forger libstdc++-3.
            Edit: pretty much a Linux closed source game has to be written with C if you want to have it last time. Closed source software written with C++ are notorious in breaking with libstdc++ ABI changes.
            Last edited by nanonyme; 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              5. I cant play COD4 over wine, I can but its too slow to compete.
              Just so I can learn from your experiences: What version of wine are you using, and what drivers are you using?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                Just so I can learn from your experiences: What version of wine are you using, and what drivers are you using?
                nvidia proprietary latest ubuntu supplied and latest supplied wine from wine repos. I check various software every few months to see if they work.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  nvidia proprietary latest ubuntu supplied and latest supplied wine from wine repos. I check various software every few months to see if they work.
                  And it works nice and fast on Windows with the same hardware setup?

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    But you take a performance hit, and a big one. With every DX release it gets heavier and heavier. I have noticed this first hand, even with hardware upgrades over the years.
                    Your right, its not. But it can best be compared to one.
                    Depends, the main reason for this is openGL doesn't support the same features as DirectX and the OSS drivers are behind in openGL support.

                    If wine starts using openGL 3+ features, then performance and quality should get better since more things should be compatible.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      yes, cod4 runs perfectly perfect in windows xp. Minus the fact its windows xp.

                      I belive it was mentioned that some ogl 3.2 instructions could be used in wine before talk of it. Think someone mentioned it in the ogl32 thread somewhere. Take it with salt.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X