KDE 4.3.0 Release Candidate Goes Wild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    I've been using KDE 4.2 on my laptop and one thing really drives me insane - programs started via keyboard shortcuts don't get focus even if focus-stealing is completely turned off, and sometimes they end up behind other windows.

I used to have it on my desktop too, but that one bug was enough to make me go back to xfce.
    Whose packages were you using? Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal. I used the openSUSE Build Service for my packages, and I never ran into that problem. Just-started programs (whether by krunner, kickoff, lancelot, or konsole) always had focus for me.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
      I also like the Arch KISS philosophy and the fact that it is a rolling distribution, but whenever I want to do something new, like hear music, I have to load the snd drivers, if I want to print, I have to install/load Cups and the printer drivers, if I want to measure the cpu temperature I have to load the corresponding modules, etc... It is a bit tedious.
      That's all in /etc/rc.conf

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
        Look, this is really offtopic, but:
        If you have a lot of modules you have to modprobe, you should consider adding them to /etc/modules. Should also work for Arch. Just a tip
        Originally posted by DanL View Post
        That's all in /etc/rc.conf
        Hehe, I know, probably I didn't explain it very well.
        I mean that the first time you must load the modules and daemons manually. It is a bit tired having to always do that in a new installation, sadly there isn't any nice hardware detection, you know, plug-n-play... it's not a distribution that you can recommended to any person.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
          This new KDE version is really grate!

I also like the Arch KISS philosophy and the fact that it is a rolling distribution, but whenever I want to do something new, like hear music, I have to load the snd drivers, if I want to print, I have to install/load Cups and the printer drivers, if I want to measure the cpu temperature I have to load the corresponding modules, etc... It is a bit tedious.

Arch is a great distro to learn, but I would really like a distribution like Arch (rolling release) but with the ease of use of Kubuntu or others.
          tried Sidux?

i've also noticed that KDE 4 packages on arch seem more stable then other KDE 4 based distro's i've tried.

Comment

The point was that like Jeffro-tull said:

Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal.
            and Arch Linux KDE is more stable and doesn't have bugs which Kubuntu version has.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              The point was that like Jeffro-tull said:

and Arch Linux KDE is more stable and doesn't have bugs which Kubuntu version has.
              [citation needed]

Comment

I understand we are not all using a software the same way but on my part I not have a single crash with KDE 4.3.
                I run Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3b2 from the backport ppa at home and at work since the day it was available and I am very pleased with.
                Also love Digikam 1.0b1.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
                  [citation needed]
                  I see quoted text but:

> Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by pchev View Post
                    I understand we are not all using a software the same way but on my part I not have a single crash with KDE 4.3.
                    I run Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3b2 from the backport ppa at home and at work since the day it was available and I am very pleased with.
                    Also love Digikam 1.0b1.

I had my entire gui freeze yesterday using KDE 4.3RC1. I too am using the backport ppa.

Comment

only problems I've had are Plasma imploding and taking Dbus and KDM with it (only once), and the panel/notifications not being translucent again after toggling compositing off and on. Other than that, it's been rock-solid for me (using the openSUSE Build Service packages)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                        Whose packages were you using? Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal. I used the openSUSE Build Service for my packages, and I never ran into that problem. Just-started programs (whether by krunner, kickoff, lancelot, or konsole) always had focus for me.
                        These were on Debian. I might have to give it a try on my Gentoo box and see if it does the same there.

Comment

yeah... I tried getting KDE 4.3 to play on my Gentoo install, and was mostly successful. I pretty much followed the guide on techbase.kde.org, and got it compiled and running, but a) Konqeror and Dolphin would always segfault, b) I ran out of disk space before I got extragear/multimedia compiled, and c) KDE applications (all of them) had no icons!

...then I remembered how much I don't like fighting with Gentoo and rebooted into opensuse. Then again, I'm a born-again Gentoo noob (haven't used it in a couple years because compiling took too long on my old rig), so your mileage may vary.

Comment

@jeffro-tull:
                            emerge -av layman
                            layman -a kde-testing
                            emerge -av @kde-4.3

You probably need to do some unmasking or stuff like that which I can't think off right now, but then you should be done.

Comment

@Zhick

I saw that on the Gentoo wiki, but I also noticed I had to unmask Portage to use the split packages. That seemed a bit too adventurous for me. Maybe in another couple days I'll give it a shot.

Comment

rc2 is out now

Comment

Working...
                                X