Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's First 100 Paper Cuts, Some Bandaged

Phoronix: Ubuntu's First 100 Paper Cuts, Some Bandaged

Last week the first ten Ubuntu paper cuts were exposed via Launchpad, which are small annoying usability problems with Ubuntu (and upstream applications) that are quite easy to address but simply have not been carried out. In time for the release of Ubuntu 9.10, Canonical hopes to have 100 of these "paper cuts" addressed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a great idea. I've been contributing feedback for one of the papercuts (nautilus doesn't single click to rename ... and I prefer it not to either :P it's an annoying "feature" of Windows and I think KDE too). Overall what I've seen is very constructive, and should make Ubuntu 9.10 something more polished and very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
      This is a great idea. I've been contributing feedback for one of the papercuts (nautilus doesn't single click to rename ... and I prefer it not to either :P it's an annoying "feature" of Windows and I think KDE too). Overall what I've seen is very constructive, and should make Ubuntu 9.10 something more polished and very nice.
      Fancy that, I've also posted on this paper cut (we agree, rename-on-click is very annoying).

Comment

some of these, I can see why and how they can be annoying to everybody... others, i feel like they're trying to just make certain little things more like Windows

Comment

I think this is doing more harm than good. There's the rename thing, just because Windows does it, and also the proposal to make double clicking on archives auto-extract it into a new folder. I want it to open in archive manager first so I can examine the files and maybe extract only a few rather than all of them, and have a right-click menu to one-step extract.

I don't want a delete warning when I'm only moving to Trash; I don't want icons on the Open With menu and I don't want Ctrl-Alt-Backspace off by default (which sin't a papercut but was "fixed" for Jaunty under similar usability arguments).
          Last edited by Game_boy; 24 June 2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Game_boy View Post
            I think this is doing more harm than good. There's the rename thing, just because Windows does it, and also the proposal to make double clicking on archives auto-extract it into a new folder. I want it to open in archive manager first so I can examine the files and maybe extract only a few rather than all of them, and have a right-click menu to one-step extract.

I don't want a delete warning when I'm only moving to Trash; I don't want icons on the Open With menu and I don't want Ctrl-Alt-Backspace off by default (which sin't a papercut but was "fixed" for Jaunty under similar usability arguments).
            Sounds like the majority of what you want to do is make Gnome like KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Game_boy View Post
              ...I don't want Ctrl-Alt-Backspace off by default (which sin't a papercut but was "fixed" for Jaunty under similar usability arguments).
              It was not 'fixed' for Jaunty, it is by default in X Server 1.6, but of course the distros can choose to disable or enable this by default, they choose the leave disabled as upstream.

You can use dontzap --disable

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              +1

With KDE you have the option to customize the whole desktop

Comment

Maybe I've simply missed it, but do you know what context-menu option I'd like to see for Thunar/Nautilus/Konqueror/Dolphin?

"Dump Folder Here"

Basically, it's like "Extract Archive Here", but instead of extracting the contents of an archive into the current folder, "Dump Folder Here" would basically empty the whole contents of a sub-folder into the current folder. (and then delete the sub-folder)

As far as I'm aware, no desktop environment under Linux, Mac, or Windows has this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  What? I'm against everything I listed; i.e. I don't want it changed from what it is now. I much prefer GNOME's feel to KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkfire Fox View Post
                    Maybe I've simply missed it, but do you know what context-menu option I'd like to see for Thunar/Nautilus/Konqueror/Dolphin?

"Dump Folder Here"

Basically, it's like "Extract Archive Here", but instead of extracting the contents of an archive into the current folder, "Dump Folder Here" would basically empty the whole contents of a sub-folder into the current folder. (and then delete the sub-folder)

As far as I'm aware, no desktop environment under Linux, Mac, or Windows has this feature.

i was thinking that last night!

Comment

Working...
                    X