Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.3 Beta 2 Released, More K Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE 4.3 Beta 2 Released, More K Improvements

    Phoronix: KDE 4.3 Beta 2 Released, More K Improvements

    The KDE crew has shipped the second beta release of the forthcoming KDE 4.3 desktop environment. As described in the release announcement, "KDE 4.3 focuses on polishing and completing the user experience by providing a modern and beautiful Free working environment."Some of the KDE 4.3 highlights include PolicyKit integration, Geolocation services support, new window animation effects, SVG-themed desktop and panel toolbox, new Plasmoids, and many other additions and improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMxNw

  • #2
    yea! go kde!

    Comment


    • #3
      Best DE out there for me. Even beats OS X

      Comment


      • #4
        If KDE 4.3 is released I will try it instead of gnome again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Kde 4.2.4 is far the best DE I have ever tried. I'm sure kde 4.3 beats it ;-)

          @ Michael
          I think it would be nice if you developed a qt4 version of phonix-test-suite.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tball View Post
            @ Michael
            I think it would be nice if you developed a qt4 version of phonix-test-suite.
            Show me some good Qt4 PHP bindings... Though such a Qt GUI would not likely occur without the commercial backing of an interested party.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Been using KDE 4.3beta1 and loving it :P hopefully Fedora 4.3beta2 packages arrive shortly

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Show me some good Qt4 PHP bindings... Though such a Qt GUI would not likely occur without the commercial backing of an interested party.
                Why not just write the test suite in something like Perl, if you need a scripting language.

                It seems a bit silly to be developing a test suite using PHP.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hefty changelog, nice improvements, but still it needs to be faster and more efficient. The amount of resources some K apps use is a disaster. At least it logs out faster.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Does anybody know if there is a chance of getting improved printing support (odd/even page selection and n-up printing) and an obex kioslave (for browsing mobiles) before the final freeze?

                    There is no mention of these in the changelog, but they were expected from the release goals, so I really hope that they can make it. I realize that to some having a wallpaper that changes with the weather and a screensaver progressively eating the desktop is by far more exciting, but please give a chance to save the forests also to those who do not own a duplex printer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by callegar View Post
                      Does anybody know if there is a chance of getting improved printing support (odd/even page selection and n-up printing) and an obex kioslave (for browsing mobiles) before the final freeze?

                      There is no mention of these in the changelog, but they were expected from the release goals, so I really hope that they can make it. I realize that to some having a wallpaper that changes with the weather and a screensaver progressively eating the desktop is by far more exciting, but please give a chance to save the forests also to those who do not own a duplex printer.
                      Most of this functionality is now part of Qt. I know the Trolls are working on it but I'm not sure about the status. Sorry...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One thing: Multi-monitor!! I'm checking out Kubuntu Jaunty with 4.2 and I'm casually left with the panel off the screen when switching screens

                        (Will check Karmic for sure )

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Michael, could you please consider making links to your own articles at the bottom of each news post? It is so damn annoying to check each links description to see if I actually want to click on it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                            Michael, could you please consider making links to your own articles at the bottom of each news post? It is so damn annoying to check each links description to see if I actually want to click on it.
                            Huh? There *is* a link under each news post.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                              Michael, could you please consider making links to your own articles at the bottom of each news post? It is so damn annoying to check each links description to see if I actually want to click on it.
                              Weird that you should have troubles finding links to his articles. I usually have troubles escaping the heavily interconnected Phoronix articles when pressing a link that I expect will take me to the external news source itself. More often than not, such a link to the source is missing and instead I just end up with a long list of Phoronix articles mentioning the particular keyword, which in my mind is pretty useless as I could search for that info using the search box.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X