Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.3 Beta 2 Released, More K Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by callegar View Post
    Does anybody know if there is a chance of getting improved printing support (odd/even page selection and n-up printing) and an obex kioslave (for browsing mobiles) before the final freeze?

    There is no mention of these in the changelog, but they were expected from the release goals, so I really hope that they can make it. I realize that to some having a wallpaper that changes with the weather and a screensaver progressively eating the desktop is by far more exciting, but please give a chance to save the forests also to those who do not own a duplex printer.
    Regarding the printing support it depends on Qt... Also John Layt, the one who put the feature in the release goal, seems to be "MIA":
    http://www.layt.net/john/

    An the Qt guys seem to be lost in space too:
    http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=171925
    http://www.qtsoftware.com/developer/...ntry&id=219318

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Huh? There *is* a link under each news post.
      Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
      Weird that you should have troubles finding links to his articles. I usually have troubles escaping the heavily interconnected Phoronix articles when pressing a link that I expect will take me to the external news source itself. More often than not, such a link to the source is missing and instead I just end up with a long list of Phoronix articles mentioning the particular keyword, which in my mind is pretty useless as I could search for that info using the search box.
      Sorry, I wrote that down poorly. What I meant to say was that he should not link to his own articles in his own post, but instead put links to his own articles under his news posts. That way, we know that all external links are in the post and internal links are under the articles (so we can safely dodge those as regular readers).

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
        Sorry, I wrote that down poorly. What I meant to say was that he should not link to his own articles in his own post[, but instead put links to his own articles under his news posts. That way, we know that all external links are in the post and internal links are under the articles (so we can safely dodge those as regular readers).
        I find the current method better or else I would have to search to find the article. If you want more details, you should go to the article.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by callegar View Post
          Does anybody know if there is a chance of getting improved printing support (odd/even page selection and n-up printing) and an obex kioslave (for browsing mobiles) before the final freeze?

          There is no mention of these in the changelog, but they were expected from the release goals, so I really hope that they can make it. I realize that to some having a wallpaper that changes with the weather and a screensaver progressively eating the desktop is by far more exciting, but please give a chance to save the forests also to those who do not own a duplex printer.

          I asked on the KDE list, but the bug is stuck upstream at Qt. Therefore, I requested that KDE 4 use it's own print dialogue, as in KDE 3. Here is that feature request, please comment on it:
          http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196303

          Comment


          • #20
            Update on the printing topic within Qt:

            http://www.layt.net/john/blog/odysseus/back_again_0

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              Hefty changelog, nice improvements, but still it needs to be faster and more efficient. The amount of resources some K apps use is a disaster. At least it logs out faster.
              I agree...maybe this issue would need to be raised with the K devs. File bug reports for the worst apps and maybe the performance/resource issues should get resolved at some point. At least 4.2.4 works a bit better, but there are some regressions

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                I agree...maybe this issue would need to be raised with the K devs. File bug reports for the worst apps and maybe the performance/resource issues should get resolved at some point. At least 4.2.4 works a bit better, but there are some regressions
                Can you give some examples? In my opinion an only application which suffers from low performance is Marble, but just because it doesn't support hardware acceleration yet. In example Konqueror is as efficient as Firefox 3 when comes to memory usage and its interface is far more responsive. It's not fair to compare KDE 4 and Gnome, because Gnome doesn't have many KDE features (so it consumes less memory).

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jonnycat26 View Post
                  Why not just write the test suite in something like Perl, if you need a scripting language.

                  It seems a bit silly to be developing a test suite using PHP.
                  I'm much more of a fan of Ruby, but based on my casual observations, it seems that Python has more bindings for 3rd party libraries than any other scripting language. Perl being a close 2nd.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    I agree...maybe this issue would need to be raised with the K devs. File bug reports for the worst apps and maybe the performance/resource issues should get resolved at some point. At least 4.2.4 works a bit better, but there are some regressions
                    Has anyone seen any information on the target platform for KDE 4.3? Something like a recommended or minimum hardware requirement?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by kxmas View Post
                      Has anyone seen any information on the target platform for KDE 4.3? Something like a recommended or minimum hardware requirement?
                      Same requirements as 4.0. System targets haven't changed.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                        Hefty changelog, nice improvements, but still it needs to be faster and more efficient. The amount of resources some K apps use is a disaster. At least it logs out faster.
                        Hmm, it seems quite nippy to me - my regular kde apps are konqueror, konsole, ktorrent & dolphin. Which apps do you see hogging resources?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          kwin with compositing goes mad sometimes, hogging cpu. Not too bad (like 30-50% in htop) but still. At least it is easily solved....

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by energyman View Post
                            kwin with compositing goes mad sometimes, hogging cpu. Not too bad (like 30-50% in htop) but still. At least it is easily solved....
                            is that on a nvidia card? I think there were some driver issues exposed by kwin a while ago, but thought they'd been fixed in later driver releases..

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              no, it is ati+fglrx.
                              X starts hogging too when it is happening - but not as bad as kwin.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by energyman View Post
                                no, it is ati+fglrx.
                                X starts hogging too when it is happening - but not as bad as kwin.
                                Hmm, yeah there are a couple of bugs on kde's bugzilla - maybe add some info?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X