Ubuntu 64-bit More Competitive Against Mac OS X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Or switch kernels as these kernel benchmarks would suggest. My brain suffered a regression and forgot about kernel used despite the fact even being mentioned in the article as the likely culprit for Linux's lower marks.
    I pointed this out few posts before. Don't take everything as it is. Look at those Linux kernel benchmarks and read one of the Kano posts, so you should know what I mean

As others have mentioned we can probably throw out the graphics performance (again because of regressions) and just say we haven't seen a "real" test yet. What would a "real" graphics test for Linux be anyway? An evil blob contest?
    In this case I prefer to see Intel open source drivers, but if you use blobs Linux probably won't loose here. Don't be so smart if you're talking about regressions, because there's a lot of them on other OS'es. It seems you never used nvidia blobs master, so you wouldn't say "again, because of regression" with such spite. The same about many other binary blobs.
    Last edited by kraftman; 05-19-2009, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L4Linux View Post
      If you compare it to Crysis or Fallout 3, it is simple...
      Its quake3 based engine is certainly not state of the art.
      Yeah so simple that even MacOSX with the Intel's drivers runs it at 16fps. A shootemup is unplayable at this framerate, it needs at least to triple that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Yeah so simple that even MacOSX with the Intel's drivers runs it at 16fps. A shootemup is unplayable at this framerate, it needs at least to triple that performance.
        Carmack would disagree. idTech5 is capped at 30 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Carmack would disagree. idTech5 is capped at 30 fps.

Yes but it has 30 fps even if the GPU is capable to produce even more because 30 fps are enough, the matter is to not drop bellow that cap. In general is good to have over 50 FPS so in a "heavy" map or when there are a lot of guys around the fps to drop down to 30 and not less. It is similar with the movies, the human eye is satisfied when the frame rate is 23 and more and it sees the movement as continuous. For that mericans use 23 fps and Europeans 25. Try to watch a movie in less than 20 fps for example, it will be like a slideshow and to play a shootemup at 16-20 FPS maximum it is going to be like a turn based game. Shoot and wait the other to make his movement :P
          Last edited by Apopas; 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

For that mericans use 23 fps and Europeans 25. Try to watch a movie in less than 20 fps for example, it will be like a slideshow and to play a shootemup at 16-20 FPS maximum it is going to be like a turn based game. Shoot and wait the other to make his movement :P
            I thought Americans use 30fps and that's why there's an option in kernel to choose 300Hz? :>

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              I thought Americans use 30fps and that's why there's an option in kernel to choose 300Hz? :>
              I mean in the movies. They use 23 fps and sometimes 29, but I don't think that has to do with the kernel :s

Comment

I mean in the movies. They use 23 fps and sometimes 29, but I don't think that has to do with the kernel :s
                It does http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...11.1/0307.html

Comment

Wow, the first new thing I learn today hehe
                  And the second is that Alan Cox works for Intel since January (I learnt that to through the same link )
                  Last edited by Apopas; 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

It's certainly possible to run Urban Terror using a native 64bit IOQuake3 binary. I've been running UrT 4.1 on top of IOQuake 1.36 x86_64 for a few weeks now because of the improvements in audio support (so I can more accurately pick out the location of other players when I can't see them).

/usr/local/bin/ioquake3 +set com_standalone 1 +set fs_game q3ut4

Cheers,
                    Toby Haynes
                    (aka AskQuestionsLater in UrT)
                    Last edited by Nexus6; 05-19-2009, 09:06 PM. Reason: Adding ioquake command

Comment

Actually FILM is 24 FPS and NTSC is 29.97 FPS. Pal is 25 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                        Actually FILM is 24 FPS and NTSC is 29.97 FPS. Pal is 25 FPS.
                        Yup, to be more specific NTSC-Film is 23.976 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                        X