KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
    including none working stuff is a hailmark of GNOME. Session managment is an example. The buttons are there. They do nothing.
    If you're talking about multiple concurrent X sessions, then at least while using a composited desktop I'm not aware of any Linux platform that does this in a bullet proof way.

Comment

• no, I am talking about sessions. You know - snapshot if current running apps, which are all loaded when you load that session

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
        no, I am talking about sessions. You know - snapshot if current running apps, which are all loaded when you load that session
        Ahh, I see. This is kind of broken in KDE as well, but in the past when I've used the session management in Gnome I found it to be functional, but I guess that's changed by the sounds of things.

This is now on my list of things to check when I get back to my own machines.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          I must say I'm starting to think that way, I'm already testing Ubuntu 9.10 Beta to see how it performs in the ways your normal end user would like it to.

The rumblings about Gnome 3.0 sound interesting, and they'll obviously would've seen what not to do having likely been pointing fingers and laughing at what happened during the KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4.1 period.

I personally have been a KDE user since 2002 or so, and still do prefer it in a lot of ways to Gnome, but for end users, they need what works, and that looks to be Ubuntu. Kubuntu seems to be far behind the level of polish that Ubuntu has in terms of reliability and predictability. Kubuntu sure does look nice, and the bits that works are great......

I guess I was wondering if there was a distro that shipped KDE 4 in a solid state, perhaps with their own in-house fixes for the stability issues and with the broken bits removed, so that I could confidently recommend it without the risks of having to quickly come up with customizations and work-arounds to fix or remove what a user finds that doesn't work.

I do hope this changes for KDE 4.4, but if it doesn't, I would say after the extreme patience I've displayed for the KDE desktop, it'll be time for me to personally jump ship to Gnome as well.
          Why use Ubuntu then? They have minimal commitment to KDE and there is the claim they neglect bugs or don't address them enough. Or can't. Furthermore, they cannot even have old hardware working properly especially since there is a constant issue whenever using effects (when effects are enabled). You'd be better off recommending Debian or Mepis if you are thinking of suggesting Linux to Windows users. I guess, Mint, too, as they at least polish 'Ubuntu' up but I am not sure how they handle or address the bugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
            Ahh, I see. This is kind of broken in KDE as well, but in the past when I've used the session management in Gnome I found it to be functional, but I guess that's changed by the sounds of things.
            No, it still works. I use it in Ubuntu 9.04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Why use Ubuntu then? They have minimal commitment to KDE and there is the claim they neglect bugs or don't address them enough. Or can't. Furthermore, they cannot even have old hardware working properly especially since there is a constant issue whenever using effects (when effects are enabled). You'd be better off recommending Debian or Mepis if you are thinking of suggesting Linux to Windows users. I guess, Mint, too, as they at least polish 'Ubuntu' up but I am not sure how they handle or address the bugs.
              I wanted to stick with an Ubuntu derivative if possible as this opens access to the widest range of pre-built packages, but, if I want to be able to ship a KDE desktop in future, it'll probably need to be a more polished distro than Kubuntu.

So I have to weigh the various pros and cons of Ubuntu, with its polish and Gnome desktop, or some other distro with a hopefully polished KDE desktop.

I've heard many good things about Mint, but until now have been too lasy to try it out, but that's about to change. It might just be what the doctor ordered.

Comment

Working...
              X