Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.2 Release Candidate Now Available

Phoronix: KDE 4.2 Release Candidate Now Available

KDE 4.2 will be released later this month as a significant update to the K Desktop Environment, but for some last minute testing a release candidate has been published. This is the only planned release candidate for KDE 4.2 and will be the last update prior to going gold on the 27th of January. The release announcement for the KDE 4.2 release candidate can be read at KDE.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been running the 4.2 builds for openSUSE 11.1 for a couple weeks now. It is a HUGE step up from 4.1.x (and I LIKED 4.1). Very pleased with the direction KDE is heading in.

Comment

Well, it looks like KDE4 is almost up to the quality that it should have been when they released 4.0...

Comment

It's getting better. 4.2 should be able to replace 3.5.x for most people.

Comment

kind a mouthwatering

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
            Well, it looks like KDE4 is almost up to the quality that it should have been when they released 4.0...
            Wow, dude. Let it go. The KDE developers and marketing people said for months before 4.0.0 that that particular release would not be feature complete, that it would have rough edges, and that everyone who didn't want to live on the bleeding edge should stay with 3.5.x. They figured (and I agree) that they were overdue for a stable point that they could call a "release" - banking on that "release" drawing interest and developers to build on the new code base and the frameworks that came with it.

And you know what? It worked. And you know what else? Without that 4.0.0 release, KDE4 could have ended up like Enlightenment 17 (before I catch hell, I like E17, but where the hell is it going and where the hell is a real release? Distros don't seem to want to touch development snapshots any more).

And you know what else? It was a year ago, which is a reasonably long time in the open source world. Let it go. Instead of playing Scrooge and complaining 4.0.0 wasn't perfect out of the gate, why not look at all the cool stuff in 4.2 that are possible because of that first release?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
              Wow, dude. Let it go. The KDE developers and marketing people said for months before 4.0.0 that that particular release would not be feature complete, that it would have rough edges, and that everyone who didn't want to live on the bleeding edge should stay with 3.5.x. They figured (and I agree) that they were overdue for a stable point that they could call a "release" - banking on that "release" drawing interest and developers to build on the new code base and the frameworks that came with it.

And you know what? It worked. And you know what else? Without that 4.0.0 release, KDE4 could have ended up like Enlightenment 17 (before I catch hell, I like E17, but where the hell is it going and where the hell is a real release? Distros don't seem to want to touch development snapshots any more).

And you know what else? It was a year ago, which is a reasonably long time in the open source world. Let it go. Instead of playing Scrooge and complaining 4.0.0 wasn't perfect out of the gate, why not look at all the cool stuff in 4.2 that are possible because of that first release?
              He isn't happy, and he will never be. I stopped even trying with these people.

Comment

Hopefully the spring distributions will ship with Qt 4.5.

Comment

Opensuse already has alpha builds of the 4.3 trunk with qt4.5 on their buildservice

On the other hand, I'm happy with 4.2 now. It has some useful improvements but still waiting for a networkmanager applet (that's WPA2 compatible and hopefully also Dynamic WEP+EAP-TTLS). I do like the new powerdevil.

Comment

Working...
                  X