Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Qt 4 port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefox Qt 4 port

    For those who missed it:

    http://browser.garage.maemo.org/news/

    I hope we can get rid of Gtk in Firefox at some point. I'll give the port a shot and see how it fares.

  • #2
    I doubt it, seeing as the last update to their repository was in august and nobody said nothing 'bout it since.

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope also a stable QtFirefox, maybe in FF 3.1...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        For those who missed it:

        http://browser.garage.maemo.org/news/

        I hope we can get rid of Gtk in Firefox at some point. I'll give the port a shot and see how it fares.
        That's great news. I want to get rid of gtk from my entire system. As far as I know it's second attempt to port Firefox to QT. I hope this time it will succeed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          I doubt it, seeing as the last update to their repository was in august and nobody said nothing 'bout it since.
          I think the patches got merged upstream. cairo-qt is in official mozilla repo now.

          Comment


          • #6
            *bump*

            So anyone knows what's the status of it now ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually, there is no Gtk in Firefox. The user interface is made up on XUL and was just optimized to blend in with Gtk-widgets. I'd say this can be done with Qt too, but as Firefox has had the possibility to be themed since the first Phoenix-builds in ~2003 I don't consider the UI a show-stopper for everyone using Qt/KDE.

              Comment


              • #8
                Then tell me why gtk2 themes can be used with Firefox.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Huenengrab View Post
                  Actually, there is no Gtk in Firefox. The user interface is made up on XUL and was just optimized to blend in with Gtk-widgets. I'd say this can be done with Qt too, but as Firefox has had the possibility to be themed since the first Phoenix-builds in ~2003 I don't consider the UI a show-stopper for everyone using Qt/KDE.
                  I'm sorry but this is wrong. Firefox doesn't look like GTK+, it uses GTK+. Remember that one of the release highlights with 3.0 was the usage of native GTK+ widgets on webpages too (like input boxes and buttons), instead of only on the menu, configuration pages, toolbars, etc.

                  That said, yeah I would just love a Qt port, especially since google chrome decided to go GTK+ too, and opera is still stuck with qt3, so not much remains of qt 4 browsers (konqueror, arora and rekonq are all that comes to mind, and those unfortunately are still not up to par).
                  Last edited by [Knuckles]; 06-09-2009, 04:26 PM. Reason: Typo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    if firefox can use qt4 UI widgets then that's great...would definitely fit in with KDE

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The reason Nokia is doing this is because they want Firefox in their mobile phones (they use Qt), not for KDE. Right now, Firefox 3.5 betas work with Qt, but they look like ass :P

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Scratch the reason ... the outcome is what is important

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          But this one they have in this page is qt3 port

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                            But this one they have in this page is qt3 port
                            ...and it seems there have been no updates in ages.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maybe Nokia has no more interest in porting Firefox to Qt. They are for sure working in better alternatives for them, I would like to know which they are.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X