No announcement yet.

First There Was Compiz, Now There Is Compiz++

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason why a large majority of the *nix world has a hard-on for C and dislikes C++ is because former has a stable ABI and latter doesn't.

Unless the C compiler you're using is broken, you can link any shared object compiled with whatever C compiler. Try this with C++ and you're in a world of hurt, requiring you to use practically more or less the same compiler release as the rest of your shared objects or static libraries to avoid any troubles.

That and language bindings.

Comment

This apparently isn't an 'official' version either, just by one of the prominent devs. The fact that he kept it under wraps for months doesn't make much sense either.

Comment

Originally posted by jijitus View Post
        Just like with KDE 4, if it's not stable enough it won't conquer users. I hope a new architecture will fix all glitches and bugs that plague Compiz Fusion today.
        I hope you meant KDE 4.0, because I have yet to find a glitch with KDE 4.1. It is very good, and, from what I have have heard, KDE 4.2 will overcome my only real concern; it will allow desktop icons.

KDE 4.x (x > 1) is really nice.

Comment

KDE 4.1.3 here. I'm not using it much though :P There are some glitches I'm not able to solve. Font rendering is messed up with DejaVu Sans:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3844/kde4dv7.png

There are sound problems with OSS4 too and kwin crashes sometimes on logout. Also, when I login, some application pop-up from nowhere even though I closed them before logging out. And Yakuake pops up even though I didn't press F12.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            KDE 4.1.3 here. I'm not using it much though :P There are some glitches I'm not able to solve. Font rendering is messed up with DejaVu Sans:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3844/kde4dv7.png
            As I run Iceweasel, I missed that...

Comment

Working...
            X