AMD Catalyst Might Be Coming To FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about this. Doesn't mean it isn't being discussed somewhere in the company, of course.

As Michael mentioned, one side-effect of the amdgpu effort is that work done to port the latest radeon kernel driver code to BSD (or any OS) will also benefit amdgpu and at least reduce the porting effort for the Catalyst stack in future.
    What do you think, will AMDGPU be approved in time for the Carrizo release?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
      What do you think, will AMDGPU be approved in time for the Carrizo release?
      We're planning to put the next HSA stack release out around the end of May including Carrizo support via amdgpu and the open source userspace, so I'm really hoping we can push the gfx code out far enough in advance of that to have a relatively stress-free release.

For clarity, this will be for Linux not for BSD
      Test signature

Comment

We're planning to put the next HSA stack release out around the end of May including Carrizo support via amdgpu and the open source userspace, so I'm really hoping we can push the gfx code out far enough in advance of that to have a relatively stress-free release.

Well, I was hopping for a big surprise, with Vulkan support coming out simultaneously with the amdgpu driver. But if it comes out that early, I guess that's not possible. On the other hand, I am quite happy to have it sooner than expected
        Just to confirm, amdgpu will only be compatible with R9 290+ hardware ?

Comment

The product numbers don't align with hardware generations so we can't describe support as something like "R9 285+", but assume amdgpu will support "VI and up" for now.
          Test signature

Comment

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about this. Doesn't mean it isn't being discussed somewhere in the company, of course.
            May you discover that for us?
            Thanks if so.

Comment

I might pick up an R9 3xx card later in summer, if everything Bridgman just said goes as planned. However, I've heard only the top card will be new, and the rest will be rebrands so I might not afford it. (Afford an actual new GPU I mean.)

Comment

Ah, the same problems everywhere. But it would be good if developers were kind of informed. Like, have a meeting to announce and discuss planned or finished work, or WIP.

As Michael mentioned, one side-effect of the amdgpu effort is that work done to port the latest radeon kernel driver code to BSD (or any OS) will also benefit amdgpu and at least reduce the porting effort for the Catalyst stack in future.
                So could one think of e.g. the blob and mesa driver just doing the pure graphics related logical work which is quite independent from OS or surrounding hardware and then talking via AMDGPU to the hardware? And AMDGPU manages handling and talking with the raw hardware and most OS related things? Umm, wasn't there a graphic scheme in an AMD presentation lately?
                But if that was the case one would just have to port AMDGPU and could port everything else with minimal effort. Afaik mesa accel would have been possible earlier also on the BSDs if they had incorporated KMS at that time.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  I might pick up an R9 3xx card later in summer, if everything Bridgman just said goes as planned. However, I've heard only the top card will be new, and the rest will be rebrands so I might not afford it. (Afford an actual new GPU I mean.)
                  Bridgman said "VI and up". So at least Tonga/R9 285 will be supported too.

I am so happy, this article wasn't published 1 April.

Comment

A question: for the pre-Tonga GPUs, what will be the destiny?
                    They will be supported by the previous Catalyst architecture, or will be supported only by the Radeon/Mesa open driver?

Comment

Working...
                    X