Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Users defect to Linux as OpenBSD removes Lynx from base system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Users defect to Linux as OpenBSD removes Lynx from base system

    As you know, Lynx is the only web browser that works on OpenBSD without crashing and that installing ports on OpenBSD is nearly impossible. But now OpenBSD devs have made it harder to surf the web by this commit:

    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html#20140716

  • #2
    Here is the response from long time users:

    http://www.reddit.com/r/bsd/comments...d_base_system/

    It's clear most of them are dissatisfied

    Comment


    • #3
      Cant tell....

      Cant tell if OP is trolling or serious.
      Yes some long time users are not really pleased with the removal of lynx but there is ports and pkg_add so if you need it you would have the internet connection to get it and install it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kusuriya View Post
        Cant tell if OP is trolling or serious.
        jake_lesser is well known as a sockpuppet of the BSD troll, so try even to start a rational discussion, that won't happen.

        Comment


        • #5
          There is no browser in systemd yet, but it has web server already - maybe in a few more years it will become BSD-like base OS.
          Difference is that BSD is trying to reduce unnecessary stuff and systemd keeps adding more of it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
            But now OpenBSD devs have made it harder to surf the web by this commit:
            ]
            Haha, I don't know. It looks like the awesome OpenBSD developers have made the internet is more accessible now. Surfing the web with no browser is probably easier than with lynx nowadays

            I tended to use lynx just to download the non-free WiFi firmware or the ports.tar.gz whilst bootstrapping a new OpenBSD install but then leave that browser pretty much discarded after that. NetSurf is generally my browser of choice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
              There is no browser in systemd yet, but it has web server already - maybe in a few more years it will become BSD-like base OS.
              Difference is that BSD is trying to reduce unnecessary stuff and systemd keeps adding more of it.
              Comparing Systemd to OpenBSD is like comparing strawberries to dirt in which a comparison is ridiculous. While Systemd adds features which become necessary due to changing requirements, OpenBSD is trying to clean up the mass of shit it made in the 1990s but it seems that added more of it (OpenSMTPD, LibreSSL, OpenNTPD, OpenShit etc..).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Haha, I don't know. It looks like the awesome OpenBSD developers have made the internet is more accessible now. Surfing the web with no browser is probably easier than with lynx nowadays
                So that what tools are on the OpenBSD base other then lynx that can be used to download and view HTML pages? Nothing! Exactly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by endman View Post
                  So that what tools are on the OpenBSD base other then lynx that can be used to download and view HTML pages? Nothing! Exactly.
                  The fact that Lynx still exists and people still expect it to work is unacceptable. It should be burned with fire. I hope every copy of it is literally 0'd out. By using Lynx and expecting anything to support it, you're holding back the rest of the net users who don't wish to be stuck in the 1990's. I like the BSDs a lot, but this is one of the things that it just should not have and I'm glad it got rid of it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                    The fact that Lynx still exists and people still expect it to work is unacceptable. It should be burned with fire. I hope every copy of it is literally 0'd out. By using Lynx and expecting anything to support it, you're holding back the rest of the net users who don't wish to be stuck in the 1990's. I like the BSDs a lot, but this is one of the things that it just should not have and I'm glad it got rid of it.
                    Lynx is used for more than just browsing the web. In example, I have an Ubuntu bash script that uses lynx to find the URLs for the latest stable/unstable kernels and then uses that information to automatically download either stable/unstable generic/lowlatency kernels based on user input. Beats having to manually visit the kernel mainline and downloading debs one by one to try out a new kernel.

                    Example: https://gist.github.com/mmstick/8493727

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                      The fact that Lynx still exists and people still expect it to work is unacceptable. It should be burned with fire. I hope every copy of it is literally 0'd out. By using Lynx and expecting anything to support it, you're holding back the rest of the net users who don't wish to be stuck in the 1990's. I like the BSDs a lot, but this is one of the things that it just should not have and I'm glad it got rid of it.
                      Au contraire. Reining in the hipsters who would require the latest Chrome beta is a good thing. All web sites should correctly scale down and fail gracefully, allowing low-bandwidth, low-power, and such cases to work. If your website doesn't work in Lynx, you're doing something wrong.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by endman View Post
                        So that what tools are on the OpenBSD base other then lynx that can be used to download and view HTML pages? Nothing! Exactly.
                        The `ftp` command will work fine for my uses. As for browsing web pages, I only ever use firefox anyway regardless of what trollup has been spammed into the base of your average Linux distro.

                        But as a Linux user, you probably realize that a "base" as such really isnt so important. AFAIK LSB (Linux standard base) is actually much smaller than the base provided by OpenBSD since we effectively (and quite correctly) include Xenocara (X11) and C compilers in ours.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by endman View Post
                          Comparing Systemd to OpenBSD is like comparing strawberries to dirt in which a comparison is ridiculous. While Systemd adds features which become necessary due to changing requirements, OpenBSD is trying to clean up the mass of shit it made in the 1990s but it seems that added more of it (OpenSMTPD, LibreSSL, OpenNTPD, OpenShit etc..).
                          How pathetic that you have to answer to yourself on the Internet. Do you have no friends in real life, so that you have to come up with fake accounts on the net, so that you can pretend a discussion?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by curaga View Post
                            Au contraire. Reining in the hipsters who would require the latest Chrome beta is a good thing. All web sites should correctly scale down and fail gracefully, allowing low-bandwidth, low-power, and such cases to work. If your website doesn't work in Lynx, you're doing something wrong.
                            I know you are just making a point, but computers are getting faster. I personally have zero desire to cater to the person who wishes to live in the 1990s, but that's just me. As well, I think it stops being hipster when it's been the majority for well over 10 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                              I know you are just making a point, but computers are getting faster. I personally have zero desire to cater to the person who wishes to live in the 1990s, but that's just me. As well, I think it stops being hipster when it's been the majority for well over 10 years.
                              Once again, as I said before, lynx is used to parse WYSIWYG information from a web page for use in scripts.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X