ReactOS Working On A Community Windows OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    Because GNU/Linux is a mess on the Desktop and the NT System is NOT a bad thing.
    Damn *morechars*

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
      How could it be an open project if you need to pay to become beta-tester? This is not the way open-source works.
      Open project? no. Opensource? Yes.
      To quality as opensource, they need to give you access to the source with the program.
      Obviously then nobody is stopping you from sharing the source with others, but they don't have to put it online for anyone.

See http://opensource.org/osd
      The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form.

Comment

How is this thing still alive? Seriously. How? We're at Windows 8.1 now, with Windows 9 already around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          How is this thing still alive? Seriously. How? We're at Windows 8.1 now, with Windows 9 already around the corner.
          Poor, clueless* bastards that don't care about FLOSS at all, but have a lot of proprietary code that runs only on ancient windowses and they don't want to migrate or pay for windows.

That meet ex-microsoft junkies that want to make some dollars by building a crappy clone of the crap, in an endless spire of copy-paste reinvention with *structure dictated and performance/feature parity legally impossible.

Thats essentially same as embedded Linux/BSD, but much much dirtier.

Comment

Damn *morechars*
            Why did you correct that was already correct, wonders me. Uh, never mind...

Comment

There is zero progress. The fragmentation of the Desktops is progressing well. Everyone has its own APIs (if APIs for an integration exist.) If you want to write a program thats nice integrated in the Desktop, you has todo it for each Desktop and Distribution again.

A GUI-Application is not only a window.

Thats nice but its not a real benefit.

Accept that there are problems is the first step.

20 Years ago it was the same with Unix. And where is now Unix?
              Yes there is Progress. The fragmentation is being largly solved by the migration to Wayland.

And yes getting gaming on Linux is a benefit to everyone weather you care or not.

And what does Unix have to do with Workstation being able to flawlessly run windows?

Comment

Because GNU/Linux is a mess on the Desktop and the NT System is a bad thing. And they dont make just another Windows they build a FOSS Windows.
                wont matter if its FOSS or not, if they are to be compatible with windows they will have to obey windows mistakes like .exe and if they calin driver support they would probably need NTFS and alot more shit windows has...

besides i dont belive they will manage to be 100% windows compatible, not even close to that.

Comment

Hi,

i have to agree to Nille. Linux on the Desktop currently has serious problems which IMHO have to be solved before people which are currently used to Windows and OSX see it as a real competitor.

- Look and Feel across the Application Landscape. Take a look at the different GUI Toolkits currently in use. Every application written with another toolkit looks a little bit different to the user. Especially the font related stuff - run a Qt,KDE,Java application on Ubuntu and see for yourself that it doesn't look that good.
                  - Font rendering in general. I know that it's a subjective field but have you ever heard of someone yelling about the font rendering in Windows with Cleartype? OSX is another thing because it tries to make fonts look as intended compared to windows.
                  - Keyboard shortcuts. Many, many applications have different bindings for same funcationality. It's not a problem of the OS itself because developers are free to bind to whatever they want, but i have more often seen this in Linux applications than in Windows/OS X ones.
                  - Application Interopability: Have you ever seen something like OLE in Linux Desktop world?

Eventually Linux will come to the desktop at some time of the future for more people than now, but there's a huge amount of work to do.

egrath

Comment

Currently its only Windows and MacOS.
                    Afraid not -- both have so many design and implementation flaws that I refuse to have any of them in my sight. Switched my entire family to Linux two years ago and don't see the point in ever regressing back to a primitive desktop OS.

Comment

Originally posted by egrath View Post
                      Hi,

i have to agree to Nille. Linux on the Desktop currently has serious problems which IMHO have to be solved before people which are currently used to Windows and OSX see it as a real competitor.

- Look and Feel across the Application Landscape. Take a look at the different GUI Toolkits currently in use. Every application written with another toolkit looks a little bit different to the user. Especially the font related stuff - run a Qt,KDE,Java application on Ubuntu and see for yourself that it doesn't look that good.
                      - Font rendering in general. I know that it's a subjective field but have you ever heard of someone yelling about the font rendering in Windows with Cleartype? OSX is another thing because it tries to make fonts look as intended compared to windows.
                      - Keyboard shortcuts. Many, many applications have different bindings for same funcationality. It's not a problem of the OS itself because developers are free to bind to whatever they want, but i have more often seen this in Linux applications than in Windows/OS X ones.
                      - Application Interopability: Have you ever seen something like OLE in Linux Desktop world?

Eventually Linux will come to the desktop at some time of the future for more people than now, but there's a huge amount of work to do.

egrath
                      - Honestly, I can't tell the difference between GTK/Qt programs since they use the same looks if you have Qt properly configured and have all the required GTK engines for your programs.

- I have no idea what you are talking about with font rendering since it is universally the same. Just open up your favourite settings utility, such as Unity Tweak Tool for Unity users, and set your desired font settings here. It certainly looks far better than what Microsoft does -- now that is a disaster.

- It's no different than Windows or Mac OSX applications, which all have the same applications. This is a non-issue. Do you really think open source developers magically decide to somehow make things different for the Linux version of their software?

- Actually yes, I have, such as Scribus's integration with GIMP.

Linux on desktops have been here for a very long time. Somehow, you've been blind to Linux desktop development the past several years.

Comment

Working...
                      X