Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache Gets Booted From OpenBSD Base Over Being Too Bloated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apache Gets Booted From OpenBSD Base Over Being Too Bloated

    Phoronix: Apache Gets Booted From OpenBSD Base Over Being Too Bloated

    The Apache web server has been removed from the OpenBSD base operating system over being too bloated and server administrators are now being asked to switch to lighter-weight alternatives...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzMTE

  • #2
    I, for one, would have preferred lighttpd; but I guess the OpenBSD devs had good reasons for their choice.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them.
      Linus Torvalds

      Comment


      • #4
        BSDs are irrelevant, it becomes ever more often that if an app doesn't compile/run on a Unix OS which is neither Linux or Mac/iOS - take a hike. I never cared if my app runs on any BSD, even my Java apps.

        Comment


        • #5
          See, that's why no one can take Linsux users serious.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            BSDs are irrelevant, it becomes ever more often that if an app doesn't compile/run on a Unix OS which is neither Linux or Mac/iOS - take a hike. I never cared if my app runs on any BSD, even my Java apps.
            BSDs are not irrelevant in the server area.

            Before saying something is irrelevant, have sources and think twice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
              Linus Torvalds
              I'm not sure if this is a comment pro or against Linus, but anyway the citation make way more sense with the contest: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/706950

              Comment


              • #8
                Does OpenBSD provide a migration tool for those who use Apache?

                I'm using WordPress, OwnCloud, and Zarafa (MS Exchange-replacement) in my virtual private server.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Does OpenBSD provide a migration tool for those who use Apache?

                  I'm using WordPress, OwnCloud, and Zarafa (MS Exchange-replacement) in my virtual private server.
                  It's still available on OpenBSD, even the version they were used (heavily enhanced Apache 1.3). It's just that now you need to get it from Packages or Ports rather than it being included as part of the system from the get-go.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Also, "migrating" from default Apache to default nginx is not much of an effort, right?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      BSDs are irrelevant, it becomes ever more often that if an app doesn't compile/run on a Unix OS which is neither Linux or Mac/iOS - take a hike. I never cared if my app runs on any BSD, even my Java apps.
                      Considering that Solaris is the "home" OS of Java it's curious that you're so narrow minded.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Long Overdue

                        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                        The Apache web server has been removed from the OpenBSD base operating system over being too bloated and server administrators are now being asked to switch to lighter-weight alternatives...]
                        I've been incredibly frustrated by the tendency of distributions/developers to not only consider Apache the default httpd; but to make it a dependency of many packages. I often want to install some package on a VM on an antiquated server or a cloud VM for development, testing, or learning purposes and the reliance on Apache makes this difficult or impossible. I've learned to create "bogus" packages that install Nginx while stating that they provide Apache2; however, this sort of trickery has bitten me on occasion.

                        I've also ended up building packages from source to avoid dependency chains including Apache. All this to avoid a server that I have not deployed on the public web since 2002. I'm sure that there are use cases where Apache is the best httpd. However, I strongly suspect that for the **vast** majority of installations, something between dark-httpd and Nginx are **ideal**. By best/ideal I refer to an optimal balance of resource utilization, ease of administration and security.

                        I certainly hope that Linux distros from Debian and RedHat to more experimental ones take note and follow along.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
                          I, for one, would have preferred lighttpd; but I guess the OpenBSD devs had good reasons for their choice.
                          I've been using lighttpd for years, but it seems Nginx is more popular. And I hear that Lighttpd's development has kind of stagnated, while Nginx has a lot of active development happening.

                          I also used to use thttpd and boa, I'm not really into bloated apache

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                            I've been using lighttpd for years, but it seems Nginx is more popular.
                            I gladly doubt that's relevant in the BSD world.

                            Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                            And I hear that Lighttpd's development has kind of stagnated, while Nginx has a lot of active development happening.
                            http://www.lighttpd.net/2014/3/12/1.4.35/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
                              See, that's why no one can take Linsux users serious.
                              Linux killed your bsd shit. You have to live with that. It doesn't matter if openbsd or some other bsd chooses to drop something, because it won't affect market share at all.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X