Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OS X Is No Longer On My Main System, But I Already Have Regrets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by araxth View Post
    So, lots of time of running Ubuntu over OSX (VM powered), then using Xubuntu with XFCE as main OS for a little time? Might be really too soon to give a decisive feedback i think. I join the other posters above in recommending a more evolved UI (GNOME 3x or KDE) but also i can recommend using a different distro. I am not sure about Xubuntu, I never used it but why not Debian or Fedora or OpenSUSE, ... (add here whatever general purpose distro you want)? I can understand that Michael is busy these days but i would kindly ask to resume the work on Ubuntu over MAC as primary system and continue the reviews on different distros + UIs over the ASUS Ultrabook.
    I use KDE on Fedora on a Yoga 2 Pro (even higher DPI) and can recommend it.

    The current plasma doesn't scale properly but is still mostly usable (apart from on-screen keyboard), and other than that DPI scaling seems to work for a lot of apps. It's not automatic DPI scaling though, so switching to an external screen with different DPI might require a compromise.

    But Windows 8.1 (desktop) is actually worse, since it maxes out at 200% scaling, which is still quite small.

    Comment


    • #17
      I don't get it...

      Xfce settings but so far it doesn't appear the desktop environment works too well on HiDPI screens.
      I don't get it. Settings Manager -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Custom DPI setting -> enter DPI. Seems to scale virtually all fonts and UI elements and does not requires complicated steps. Anything wrong with it?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        what is stopping you from using Windows 8.1 and running Linux from a VM like always?
        Dude, on my HiDPI screen of 2560x1440 even that simplistic XFCE on xubuntu can at least set up native LCD resolution "by default" - when I just installed system. Windows on other hand would default to some insane garbage instead of native screen resolution. And it's not like it handles DPI stuff reasonably well either. These days windows "plug and play" suxx a lot.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by arokh
          I'm guessing you don't have a girlfriend. Or a life for that matter.
          says the person who has nothing better to do than sit around in a linux/tech-tabloid forum and insult someone over a mildly aggressive post by another person towards the author of the site.

          Pot meet kettle.
          (whenever I see this kind of response in this kind of situation I just have to point that out)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by arokh
            I'm guessing you don't have a girlfriend. Or a life for that matter.
            Sorry to break to you Sherlock, but I'm happily married with a kid.

            Comment


            • #21
              I would really appreciate if Michael would review the newest Cinnamon build with Hi-DPI support. http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/0...-for-cinnamon/

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by raineee View Post
                [...] I'm happily married with a kid.
                In what country is that possible?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  In what country is that possible?
                  Two separate ones ;-)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I don't know about OSX, but Windows 8.1 are actually quite good. After 5 years of using ArchLinux only, with various DEs, i grew tired of Linux on my main desktop and put Windows 8.1 on it. And i am really happy, they are much more stable, FASTER, with an advanced graphics stack, perfect software compatibility etc...

                    And before all these kids and neckbeards start accusing me of trolling, i am not trolling.

                    Linux on the Desktop sucks, it always sucked and it will always suck. I have put up with many problems over the years just because i wanted it to work, but overall, it was more trouble that it was worth...

                    Linux is still good for server or embedded applications, but on the Desktop it will never catch on. It is too chaotic and too amateurish to present a decent experience for the average user.

                    Michael faced a problem with high dpi on XFCE, and most suggested to try Gnome 3 or KDE... And what would that accomplish? Gnome and KDE both suck atm. For different reasons. So, maybe the dpi problem would be solved, but he would have to face other problems instead...

                    There is no single DE that is both usable/stable and powerful/feature-complete enough. And appearence-wise, ALL suck.

                    I went Windows and i will not be looking back. I have ArchLinux on a virtual machine for some uses, and that's it. And i suggest to Michael to return to OSX or whatever he likes. Linux as a main desktop is inadequate. It is only for experimenting, hacking, hobby puproses.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      I went Windows and i will not be looking back. I have ArchLinux on a virtual machine for some uses, and that's it. And i suggest to Michael to return to OSX or whatever he likes. Linux as a main desktop is inadequate. It is only for experimenting, hacking, hobby puproses.
                      I guess that's a matter of personal preference, as I know a bunch of people that migrated to a GNOME Desktop a few years ago and stayed with it. Also, I use Linux on all my computers for > 10 years, never looked back to Windows. Still, I keep it installed on one of my machines for some stuff and boot it up, maybe once a year. But it always feels alien and as if it hinders me in getting things done.
                      Last edited by oleid; 03-12-2014, 06:18 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                        I don't know about OSX, but Windows 8.1 are actually quite good. After 5 years of using ArchLinux only, with various DEs, i grew tired of Linux on my main desktop and put Windows 8.1 on it. And i am really happy, they are much more stable, FASTER, with an advanced graphics stack, perfect software compatibility etc...

                        And before all these kids and neckbeards start accusing me of trolling, i am not trolling.

                        Linux on the Desktop sucks, it always sucked and it will always suck. I have put up with many problems over the years just because i wanted it to work, but overall, it was more trouble that it was worth...

                        Linux is still good for server or embedded applications, but on the Desktop it will never catch on. It is too chaotic and too amateurish to present a decent experience for the average user.

                        Michael faced a problem with high dpi on XFCE, and most suggested to try Gnome 3 or KDE... And what would that accomplish? Gnome and KDE both suck atm. For different reasons. So, maybe the dpi problem would be solved, but he would have to face other problems instead...

                        There is no single DE that is both usable/stable and powerful/feature-complete enough. And appearence-wise, ALL suck.

                        I went Windows and i will not be looking back. I have ArchLinux on a virtual machine for some uses, and that's it. And i suggest to Michael to return to OSX or whatever he likes. Linux as a main desktop is inadequate. It is only for experimenting, hacking, hobby puproses.
                        That is your opinion. My opinion is that Windows 8 is a mess. That tile-based UI (formerly Metro) deserves its reputation. It isn't fast at all. Also it forces me to log into a hotmail. Linux's drawbacks are X11 and third-party support.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          The Linux desktop experience is certainly lacking. I have hope that Wayland will directly and indirectly make a change though.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Try installing TLP: it improved my battery life and also sorted out fan issues (always ramping up) on my IvyBridge ultrabook. I also noticed that battery monitoring in linux isn't very good. I have to calibrate it often by running the battery right down (which I try not to do often). Often it shows 3% battery left but then stays like that for half an hour until finally dropping some more. So those calculations of 10% worse battery life might not be true. I would do some typical tasks in both from full to completely empty battery to really test that (after installing TLP).

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Linux desktop experience

                              is great. People who yell around are idiots. It simple matters what one does, and has to do, what one likes, what hardware it is in question. I am using Ubuntu with Unity on Sandy Bridge platform, with intel graphic (what I need), 16 GB of RAM (what I need), 5 disks, 2 SSDs. I am doing mainly backend, Java, and Web development, virtualisation for testing and experiments, like many others, and everything I have, from printer to monitor works well, plug and play. This setup can everything I, and lot of other people need. Doesn't work for you, because you are gamer, designer, have a newest hardware, and monitor with 90043542x453123 resolution, or whatever? Just shut up, use whatever you want, but don't be an idiot to claim Linux is shit on desktop, because it works perfectly for me.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by reCAPTCHA View Post
                                is great. People who yell around are idiots. It simple matters what one does, and has to do, what one likes, what hardware it is in question. I am using Ubuntu with Unity on Sandy Bridge platform, with intel graphic (what I need), 16 GB of RAM (what I need), 5 disks, 2 SSDs. I am doing mainly backend, Java, and Web development, virtualisation for testing and experiments, like many others, and everything I have, from printer to monitor works well, plug and play. This setup can everything I, and lot of other people need. Doesn't work for you, because you are gamer, designer, have a newest hardware, and monitor with 90043542x453123 resolution, or whatever? Just shut up, use whatever you want, but don't be an idiot to claim Linux is shit on desktop, because it works perfectly for me.
                                It goes both ways.. just because you don't have problems, doesn't mean it's unproblematic for everyone. Not saying you even implied that, just talking out loud here.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X