Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD 10.0 vs. PC-BSD 9.2 vs. Ubuntu 13.10 Benchmarks

Phoronix: PC-BSD 10.0 vs. PC-BSD 9.2 vs. Ubuntu 13.10 Benchmarks

After running through some challenges in setting up PC-BSD/FreeBSD 10.0 and its many changes, here are benchmarks of the feature-rich operating system update. Benchmarks were done on the same laptop of PC-BSD 10.0, the former PC-BSD 9.2 release, and Ubuntu 13.10.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19912

All of the operating systems were cleanly installed and left using their default settings/packages, including their default file-systems, default compiler choices, etc, since they are all design choices made by the distribution vendor.
    So, PC-BSD10 comes with the nVidia blob by default? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: PC-BSD 10.0 vs. PC-BSD 9.2 vs. Ubuntu 13.10 Benchmarks

After running through some challenges in setting up PC-BSD/FreeBSD 10.0 and its many changes, here are benchmarks of the feature-rich operating system update. Benchmarks were done on the same laptop of PC-BSD 10.0, the former PC-BSD 9.2 release, and Ubuntu 13.10.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19912
      Im looking forward to the gcc vs gcc benchmarks. While it's interesting what performance *BSD users can expect using precompiled packages, the full potential of the platform is surely of interest, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        So, PC-BSD10 comes with the nVidia blob by default? Really?
        According to Wikipedia, yes.

Comment

PC-BSD is heavy on features by default.

Where are the gaming benchmarks?

Imo, PC-BSD is heavily modified with lot of added "extras", which slow it down. For instance, there is not option to choose UFS as the default filesystem while installation. I think it will perform better without zfs, which is the default.

So can we have GhostBSD(FreeBSD with GUI) vs Debian vs Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Comment

FreeBSD 10 is now defaulting on LLVM/Clang 3.4 and I suspect will move to 3.5 when it's released and FreeBSD 10.1 is released.

I imagine PC-BSD will follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              Im looking forward to the gcc vs gcc benchmarks. While it's interesting what performance *BSD users can expect using precompiled packages, the full potential of the platform is surely of interest, too.
              BSD no longer installs GCC by default. It's optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                BSD no longer installs GCC by default. It's optional.
                Sure, therefore my posting.

Comment

PC-BSD 10 seems to be nearly the same slow ****** as FreeBSD 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    FreeBSD 10 is now defaulting on LLVM/Clang 3.4 and I suspect will move to 3.5 when it's released and FreeBSD 10.1 is released.

I imagine PC-BSD will follow suit.
                    Are you use as Clang 3.4 is only in head at the moment?? Stable 10 defaults to Clang 3.3 (http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/10/?view=log)

Comment

Working...
                    X