Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State Of ReactOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    BUT what is the point of a Windows compatible OS that is capable to run mostly Windows XP software and drivers?
    For example to replace the soon to be unsupported XP on machines that have to run XP compatible software or drivers for whatever reason. In the same way you could ask: What is the point of developing Wine, it can at this time only play DirectX 9, but not the newer versions.

    Comment


    • #12
      I follow this project for a long time...at some time it almost died but lately they have more devs, included WINE code were it was logical to do so and seem to be "getting there" with lot's of code rewrite....i believe that in 1-2 more years we can get something interesting to replace WinXP...witch is interesting because support for XP will close down in 2014.

      As for be sued, as long as keep code clean and is simply reverse-engineered Micro$haft can do squat to them, at most, only FUD...

      Comment


      • #13
        If it's XP binary compatibility they're shooting for initially, they have at most 7 years of patent threats and probably less. After that, any and all patents filed related to XP should have expired I believe.

        Comment


        • #14
          Agreement with BO$$?

          Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Interesting project. Unfortunately, no chance of ever working as good as Windows. Not enough manpower.
          Wow, it honestly is the first time I have to agree with you.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by akincer View Post
            If it's XP binary compatibility they're shooting for initially, they have at most 7 years of patent threats and probably less. After that, any and all patents filed related to XP should have expired I believe.
            Can you even attack FOSS projects that have no commercial face? I thought all of the patent claims against Linux systems were only made when a company made money off of devices running Linux.

            Comment


            • #16
              I honestly don't see the point on this project besides doing it just for fun.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                For example to replace the soon to be unsupported XP on machines that have to run XP compatible software or drivers for whatever reason. In the same way you could ask: What is the point of developing Wine, it can at this time only play DirectX 9, but not the newer versions.
                This is exactly it. Applications are one thing, and Wine has more than got that covered. The interesting bit with ReactOS is, if they can get the Windows driver compatibility polished, is it's potential to replace aging Windows based appliances. As just one example, there are a lot of factories out there with hulking machinery with old Windows based interface boxes. These are using proprietary drivers for proprietary interfaces, with zero chance of being supported on Linux or any other OS. Having a modern replacement OS that can use these drivers and applications could be a big plus. Some of these machines have a 30 year life expectancy with maintenance, so there is a need.

                Comment


                • #18
                  I don't get why doing an OS who's windows compatible. I mean Windows is ( imo ) full of bad decision and works badly. Why would you copy an OS like that ? For fun maybe but I don't see any other reason.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                    if Microsoft would like to shut down ReactOS
                    Shut down where? In the US?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                      I follow this project for a long time...at some time it almost died but lately they have more devs, included WINE code were it was logical to do so and seem to be "getting there" with lot's of code rewrite....i believe that in 1-2 more years we can get something interesting to replace WinXP...witch is interesting because support for XP will close down in 2014.

                      As for be sued, as long as keep code clean and is simply reverse-engineered Micro$haft can do squat to them, at most, only FUD...
                      If they want to aim for any of the current XP users they have to have something stable by the end of support for XP in 2014 which is very unlikely to happen. By the time ReactOS would come out with something stable 2-3 years from now, those that were on XP would've moved on.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X