Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes

Phoronix: OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes

Since last week's release of OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", I've begun benchmarking my few Apple systems to see how the performance compares over OS X 10.8. In this article are our first benchmarks of OS X Mavericks final as we look at how the performance changes for a Haswell-based 2013 MacBook Air...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5ODI

Mavericks didn't really add anything I use unfortunately. My experience so far has been identical to what it was before, although I imagine there's a slew of under the hood stuff that smooths things out. (MBA 2013)

Comment

there was some small OpenGL changes
      like OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 2 ...

Comment

How is this Linux related?

I can understand benchmarking a decent OS (Linux) on a fruit store device but
        this... no thanks. Let's keep a clean room environment so we cannot be
        accused of stealing from a bunch of thieves with the US president's veto in
        their pocket.

Comment

Not many = few

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes
          http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5ODI
          Michael, you seem a bit overworked! I hope you take some time away from those many machines)

Comment

Originally posted by oo_OO_oo View Post
            I can understand benchmarking a decent OS (Linux) on a fruit store device but
            this... no thanks. Let's keep a clean room environment so we cannot be
            accused of stealing from a bunch of thieves with the US president's veto in
            their pocket.
            Phoronix also regularly benchmarks other UNIX-like or UNIX-based operating systems such as the BSDs or this.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Phoronix also regularly benchmarks other UNIX-like or UNIX-based operating systems such as the BSDs or this.
              And windows too, but all of these in comparison with Linux.

Comment

For anyone out there who has a hackintosh, be sure to backup your current setup before upgrading to 10.9 - there's a high probability something will break.

For anyone out there looking to do a hackintosh, 10.9 is the first OSX that is free. While I personally got 10.6.8 to work bare metal on a socket 939 AMD system, if graphics aren't a big deal to you, I'd recommend using VMware images.

Comment

A couple weeks ago I played L4D2 on OS X and I was surprised a) how awful the performance was, and b) that there was no raw mouse input, making it a real cluster-f.

Frankly I just don't get why people think Apple is anything other than a turd.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    A couple weeks ago I played L4D2 on OS X and I was surprised a) how awful the performance was, and b) that there was no raw mouse input, making it a real cluster-f.

Well to be fair, Mac was never known for its games. Linux is a better gaming platform, which really says something considering it has a lot less native games and for the longest time has had a lot less attention toward GPU drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

True, if gaming makes up most of your computing. Most stuff that is painful on Linux just works on OSX.

Comment

Well I read that the battery time was increased by about 30 to 45 minutes due to synchronized program polling and therefore CPU wakeups (Timer Coalescing, App Nap).
                        Maybe it's time for another comparison of power saving / energy consumption between Ubuntu/Fedora and OS X - Does the gap widen even more or does it get closed?

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
                          Most stuff that is painful on Linux just works on OSX.
                          For example?

I ask because I have the opposite experience. Most stuff that just works on Linux is painful on OSX. Not to mention that Finder is next to useless, although it should be a little less useless now that it has tabs. At least I won't have to open 2 windows just to move a file from one place to another. That's the only thing I'm looking forward to on "Mavericks".

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                            For example?

I ask because I have the opposite experience. Most stuff that just works on Linux is painful on OSX. Not to mention that Finder is next to useless, although it should be a little less useless now that it has tabs. At least I won't have to open 2 windows just to move a file from one place to another. That's the only thing I'm looking forward to on "Mavericks".
                            Let me start off by saying I don't think Linux is crap, it handles many use cases for me well. Below are some of the hardships I've experienced. I understand many of these aren't directly Linux's fault or anything, this is all just observation.

USB drives
                            I need usb drives regularly and I need them to work whichever platform I happen to be on. But I've had so many problems related to usb drive handling on Linux it's not funny. Even if I format the stick to NTFS (on Linux), it won't work on Windows for some reason, so there are compatibility issues.

Office suite
                            I regularly need MS Office file formats to just work, no way around it. LibreOffice doesn't often cut it, and even if it does, the experience could be better.

Video playing, netflix
                            I regularly get full system lockups while using VLC or Netflix. Embarrassing when I try to watch an episode of BBT with my girl and shit breaks apart. Not to mention I may have work on in the background, this kind of total tilt is just not acceptable. This is with the nvidia proprietary blob (I do acknowledge the issues related to it). Open drivers still require setting the cooling policy manually in order to have the card not sound like a jet. Even though it's just one terminal command, the fact that it's not default behaviour is disturbing.

Then the smaller, more distro and DE specific issues but which are nasty:

- Default font rendering/configuration is still unsatisfactory in many distros. Ubuntu is the exception. My fonts look awesome but only because I've put effort and time into it. I think this shouldn't be.

- Cursor is not always visible after logging into gnome. Need to unplug and replug the mouse. Apparently gnome sometimes falsely thinks it's being used on a touch screen. This bug is reported but yet to be fixed. Seriously??

- Ethernet doesn't always work after reboot. Was able to fix this, turned out to be something ipv6 related after doing the research. It's very concerning when a simple thing like wired ethernet with dhcp doesn't work out of the box, while it has been perfect in Windows-world since Windows ME? Can't say about OSX because I haven't used it for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                              like OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 2 ...
                              This claim of not many changes really shows a glaring handicap to these benchmarks, not to mention a true lack of Test Suites on how OpenCL 2 and OpenGL 4.1 are implemented throughout OS X.

Then again, I don't expect much from a Linux centric site that doesn't know jack squat about OS X architecture.

Comment

Working...
                              X