Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTK+ 3 Is Now Officially Available On Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GTK+ 3 Is Now Officially Available On Windows

    Phoronix: GTK+ 3 Is Now Officially Available On Windows

    In light of applications like Wireshark moving from GTK to Qt over better cross-platform support and portability, the GNOME team has finally released their first GTK+3 binaries for Microsoft Windows...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5Nzc

  • #2
    GTK+ 3.0 worked on Windows flawlessly for a long time now. It's just that nobody was interested in wasting their time compiling and officially releasing binaries for it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
      GTK+ 3.0 worked on Windows flawlessly for a long time now. It's just that nobody was interested in wasting their time compiling and officially releasing binaries for it.
      Do you know if it uses native Windows widgets (like QT)?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: GTK+ 3 Is Now Officially Available On Windows

        In light of applications like Wireshark moving from GTK to Qt over better cross-platform support and portability, the GNOME team has finally released their first GTK+3 binaries for Microsoft Windows...

        http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5Nzc
        'In light of' often means the decision was taken because of the preceding information - which is not true in this case. Many people have been working on this for around approximately a year or more.

        That said, yay!

        Comment


        • #5
          Should be renamed to "Outdated version of GTK+ 3 Is Now Officially Available On Windows".

          Comment


          • #6
            Nothing like competition to kick things in gear.

            Looking forward to the GIMP 3.0 with GTK 3. Having good GTK 3 support for Windows is obviously one milestone on that journey.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wargames View Post
              Do you know if it uses native Windows widgets (like QT)?
              Neither GTK+ nor Qt uses native Windows widgets, both of them use styles to look natively. If you need to wrapped real native widgets try wxWidgets with wxMSW port, wxGTK/Win32 also not uses native widgets under Windows.

              Comment


              • #8
                Please, gtk devs, just focus on linux. Make the best use of linux resources and don't worry about anyone else. That is the best way to make the most of your limited resources, and to provide a product that can actually boast superior linux performance.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I agree, keep *** like gtk for yourself, please.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kosenko View Post
                    Neither GTK+ nor Qt uses native Windows widgets, both of them use styles to look natively. If you need to wrapped real native widgets try wxWidgets with wxMSW port, wxGTK/Win32 also not uses native widgets under Windows.
                    Are you sure? All QT applications I've tried so far look native on both Windows XP and Windows 7.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wargames View Post
                      Are you sure? All QT applications I've tried so far look native on both Windows XP and Windows 7.
                      Native and looking native are two different things. You can customise Linux to look like Windows, but it is NOT Windows.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kosenko View Post
                        Neither GTK+ nor Qt uses native Windows widgets, both of them use styles to look natively. If you need to wrapped real native widgets try wxWidgets with wxMSW port, wxGTK/Win32 also not uses native widgets under Windows.
                        Qt uses OS provided style API afaik, so you'll get pretty much the same output as with the native toolkit, not sure about GTK+.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wargames View Post
                          Are you sure? All QT applications I've tried so far look native on both Windows XP and Windows 7.
                          Try e.g. the tablet input methods, in a native Windows program marking the text in an input field will insert it into the input panel to edit, in a Qt program that doesn't work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wargames View Post
                            Are you sure? All QT applications I've tried so far look native on both Windows XP and Windows 7.
                            "Look native" being the key words. Like kosenko said, they use themes to get native styling - though the odds are good that if you change the themes used by Windows, you'll see faults appearing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wargames View Post
                              Are you sure? All QT applications I've tried so far look native on both Windows XP and Windows 7.
                              yes, they don't use native widgets. On some Windows visual style configurations you may find a little difference between the Qt apps style and native Windows style. But they simulate your actual Windows theme with a high degree of accuracy (Qt).

                              While GTK+ 3.10 is the latest stable release, today's Windows release is of GTK+ 3.6.4.
                              And that's why the Wireshark guys are moving to Qt. As long GTK keeps other platforms as second (or third) citizens they will keep losing market share.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X