Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digia Looking At Windows WinRT Support In Qt 5.2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Digia Looking At Windows WinRT Support In Qt 5.2

    Phoronix: Digia Looking At Windows RT Support In Qt 5.2

    Qt 5.2 is expected to be released before the end of the year and Digia is hoping one of the features will be initial support for Microsoft Windows RT...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0NzM

  • #2
    Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Thus making the linux port less important. Who would have known?
    Yes, I am sure supporting a mobile platform that nobody uses will cause them to drop all support for some of their most important customers.
    indeed

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Thus making the linux port less important. Who would have known?
      Logical fallacies from Honton, I didn't see that coming

      Comment


      • #4
        WinRT is not Windows RT

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RunTime

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Teho View Post
          Logical fallacies from Honton, I didn't see that coming
          Perhaps it's sour grapes due to GTK+'s flakey cross platform support

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Teho View Post
            Logical fallacies from Honton, I didn't see that coming
            The only question is how many times in this thread is he going to spew nonsense about how developers should work that runs completely counter to the design principles and patterns that the developer community have learned about and accepted over time.

            Comment


            • #7
              I love seeing Qt on more platforms, but why Windows RT. Shouldn't they go in order of most popular mobile platforms? They have iOS and Android ports, as well as a Tizen port (although that's not all that popular). BB10, Ubuntu Touch, and Jolla use Qt natively. But what about the #3 player, Windows Phone. WIndows Phone has had some small success with roughly ~3% market share and it's the next developer target after iOS and android. It uses metro UI and ARM like WinRT. WinRT wasn't even a tiny bit successful. Although Windows Phone isn't exactly a huge success for MS, it wasn't as much of a flop as RT was. Nvidia, who's Tegra SoC was used in the Surface RT, even said it was a dissappointment. The Surface RT from MS ook a 900million loss and they are now selling at near break-even to get of stock!

              Disclaimer: I don't like windows phone as a user, just from a developer point of view, logically you prioritize the platform with an actual user base, and who's owners don't look like they are about to give up on it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                I love seeing Qt on more platforms, but why Windows RT. Shouldn't they go in order of most popular mobile platforms? They have iOS and Android ports, as well as a Tizen port (although that's not all that popular). BB10, Ubuntu Touch, and Jolla use Qt natively. But what about the #3 player, Windows Phone. WIndows Phone has had some small success with roughly ~3% market share and it's the next developer target after iOS and android. It uses metro UI and ARM like WinRT. WinRT wasn't even a tiny bit successful. Although Windows Phone isn't exactly a huge success for MS, it wasn't as much of a flop as RT was. Nvidia, who's Tegra SoC was used in the Surface RT, even said it was a dissappointment. The Surface RT from MS ook a 900million loss and they are now selling at near break-even to get of stock!

                Disclaimer: I don't like windows phone as a user, just from a developer point of view, logically you prioritize the platform with an actual user base, and who's owners don't look like they are about to give up on it.
                Eh... All indication is that Michael didn't really understand what WinRT meant. WinRT aka Windows Run Time is an API that is supported by both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8/RT, and provides ability to do Metro apps.

                Comment


                • #9
                  They are just covering their bases. Full Android and iOS support is what everybody is rooting for. I'm mostly interested in them improving the Android stuff until Ubuntu or somebody else actually implements a high end convergence solution. Too bad the Edge didn't make it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by red_team316 View Post
                    They are just covering their bases. Full Android and iOS support is what everybody is rooting for. I'm mostly interested in them improving the Android stuff until Ubuntu or somebody else actually implements a high end convergence solution. Too bad the Edge didn't make it.
                    Oh yeah that convergence solution that they claimed that they had but on their actual indiegogo page stated that the feature wouldn't be available at launch and would "come in a future update" even though they set the release date a year away. Whereas KDE's Plasma (I think this is actually Plasma2) is already set up to be able to do exactly that in real live code http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoC4l3eTriE . Now personally I don't really believe in the whole device convergence story and think that something like OwnCloud is a better solution but...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Eh... All indication is that Michael didn't really understand what WinRT meant. WinRT aka Windows Run Time is an API that is supported by both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8/RT, and provides ability to do Metro apps.
                      Thank you, make so much more sense. Also appears Micheal updated the article.
                      It's also the fault of MS and their dumb naming.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Honton View Post
                        Yes, covering every closed source base out there. That is what you do when you priority is closed source and you want volume.
                        They are a company who's advertised business is closes platform tools. They support and want to add many different platforms. Who would've thought!
                        Qt has great Linux support and Wayland support. Why are you complaining. You want them to drop everything not Linux? How dumb.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I doubt it's even possible without hitting the wall of patents.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Honton View Post
                            You are on a linux centric forum. Expect to meet a few people caring about Linux and Freedom. im one of them.
                            Caring for quality on linux is good.

                            Wanting people to only support linux, saying any support for non-linux is bad, and non-linux platforms should burn and die is bad. You never want one dominant platform to rule them all with 90%+ marketshare. That monopoly and monoculture leads to stagnation. You also don't want users to be locked-in to one platform due to vendors. All of this is "anti-freedom".

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Honton View Post
                              I don't want "quality" for Linux. I want Linux to be supported as mush as possible, and that means compromise with multiplatformism. I want tool kit level software to be as free and fairly governed as possible, and that means compromise with commercial Qt.
                              "You needn't love your enemy, but if you refrain from telling lies about him, you are doing well enough."
                              - Ed Howe

                              You can't even manage that much.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X