Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Still Underway To Run OS X Binaries On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Are there any free open source software on OS X that aren't on Linux?
    Well i checked alternativeto.net and found some SW so yes

    Comment


    • #22
      so, er, what programs that are OSX only without a windows counterpart that actually warrant this over using, say, WINE and dedicated the development time of this on WINE instead?
      I guess most graphical applications would run faster than WINE since it would be translating OGL calls to OGL instead of DX -> OGL.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Yes, but if you are e.g. an artist who has spend the last decade using Photoshop and this is the only program keeping you from using linux, then no.
        For once!

        Someone not critisizing gratutiously GIMP.

        This is rare.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I don't think it'll suck anywhere near as much as you think. As stated before, Mac and Linux are both POSIX, they both use OpenGL, they are both highly 64-bit optimized, and so on. Comparing Linux to Windows is like apples to oranges, whereas comparing Linux to Mac is like comparing limes to oranges. Obviously there'll be some performance loss but even Wine has had performance improvements over Windows once in a while. Free-BSD is probably a better platform to start with since that is more closely related to Mac. On the other hand, it's graphically inferior to Linux, and Mac is a very graphic intensive OS.
          smoke and mirrors...
          When porting the most important things are: access to source code and if the program was designed from start to be portable POSIX and other stuff you mentioned its just easing porting/emulation

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Are there any free open source software on OS X that aren't on Linux?
            Here are some examples:

            - Adium
            - Telephone
            - Burn
            - NeoOffice
            - Skim
            - Cocoalicious
            - Seashore
            - Scaletron!
            - iStumbler
            - BibDesk
            - SimplyBurns
            - Max

            I think you can find thousands open source applications for Mac OS X which aren't available for other operating systems like Linux, Windows etc. I saw plenty of commercial and freeware applications which are available only for Mac OS X.

            Comment


            • #26
              Just FYI, most of the work on Darling is currently being done outside of the main Git repository - e.g. in gnustep-corebase, gnustep-base or darling-dmg (FUSE module to mount .dmg files on Linux).

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by LubosD View Post
                Just FYI, most of the work on Darling is currently being done outside of the main Git repository - e.g. in gnustep-corebase, gnustep-base or darling-dmg (FUSE module to mount .dmg files on Linux).
                Do you plan to add support for old applications dedicated for NeXTSTEP (0.8-4.0)?

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  itune's on Linux Will Be Epic
                  I never thought I could live long enough to see a human being excited about the possibility of using iTunes

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                    Here are some examples:

                    - Adium
                    - Telephone
                    - Burn
                    - NeoOffice
                    - Skim
                    - Cocoalicious
                    - Seashore
                    - Scaletron!
                    - iStumbler
                    - BibDesk
                    - SimplyBurns
                    - Max

                    I think you can find thousands open source applications for Mac OS X which aren't available for other operating systems like Linux, Windows etc. I saw plenty of commercial and freeware applications which are available only for Mac OS X.
                    I ask because if there's a popular one that's open source I would consider attempting to port it to Linux.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by devius View Post
                      I never thought I could live long enough to see a human being excited about the possibility of using iTunes
                      it is really said to see no support for Linux from apple

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X