Funny Story With WIndows to Linux User Switcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
    Moral of the story is get hardware that works out of the box IMO.
    Exactly. Ask him to install Mac OSX on the same laptop and see how far he gets. Or how about Windows NT 4.0?

The moral of the story is "don't install an OS on unsupported hardware". This is not a new concept by any means.

SafetyNinja, the fool here is you, if you instructed this non technical person to install an unfamiliar OS onto unsupported hardware, with the expectation that it would work.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

The most brutal irony of the story: if he tests the same setup in 6 months from now, it will work flawlessly (since he will be running it with Linux 3.11 + some sort of DPM auto enablement + free drivers + no issues)

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
        The most brutal irony of the story: if he tests the same setup in 6 months from now, it will work flawlessly (since he will be running it with Linux 3.11 + some sort of DPM auto enablement + free drivers + no issues)
        You sure about that?

AMD Catalyst always brings headache for me too. Next time if ones want to buy PC/laptop, go intel route, the safe way.

Comment

!!! And the moral of this story is... !!!!
          Takeaway points:
          1. You don't know the difference between an exclamation point and a question mark.
          2. Linux really sucks on Intel/ATI hybrid graphics systems, especially for n00bs.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
            You sure about that?

AMD Catalyst always brings headache for me too. Next time if ones want to buy PC/laptop, go intel route, the safe way.
            I'm sure, since with Linux 3.11 and Mesa 9.2 the free Radeon stack is a real option. No more Catalyst.

Comment

I'm sure, since with Linux 3.11 and Mesa 9.2 the free Radeon stack is a real option. No more Catalyst.
              Does open source driver provide at least 80% performance of Catalyst with 1.5-years-old Southern Islands?

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                Does open source driver provide at least 80% performance of Catalyst with 1.5-years-old Southern Islands?
                in some scenarios is faster than fglrx and in anothers are between 60%~90% of fglrx, improving daily and is 99.99% glitches/issues free and in 2d accel is magnitudes of times better

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  in some scenarios is faster than fglrx and in anothers are between 60%~90% of fglrx, improving daily and is 99.99% glitches/issues free and in 2d accel is magnitudes of times better
                  I can't get even native resolution for my monitor without fglrx.

Comment

Hope you have a safe trip then
                    Last edited by t.s.; 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACiD View Post
                      I can't get even native resolution for my monitor without fglrx.
                      What kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                        What kernel?
                        2.6.33.2 (Puppy)

Comment

2.6.33.2 (Puppy)
                          That is prehistoric kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                            That is prehistoric kernel.
                            It's the current Puppy kernel

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                              Hope you have a safe trip then
                              In fact, I'm already tripping. Writing this in a Sony YB series netbook with an E-450 AMD APU, Linux 3.11, Mesa 9.2, Radeon free driver with VDPAU accel and DPM

DotA runs fine here, just a bit slower than DotA on Windows. Also, YouTube and Crunchyroll are HW accelerated here, so they run fine. I'm running KDE with the KWin EGL provider, so, system load is on historical minimums. There are no glitches, suspend and resume are rock solid, 2D is fine...
                              Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 09-06-2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

2.6.33.2 (Puppy)
                                lol im not even sure KMS exists in that kernel for modern radeons, you at worst need 3.8 and ideally 3.11 kernel.

tell those puppy guys 2008 days are long gone

Comment

Working...
                                X