Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by nukem View Post
    This is whats wrong with BSD licensed software in general. It allows companies to just take and take and give nothing back but a locked down system.
    One could also argue that there's something wrong with the companies themselves, when they don't see the benefits of the open source development and business model. The BSD lisence is more liberal than GNU GPL anyhow, so that it lets the companies choose whether or not they want to contribute.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by nukem View Post
      This is whats wrong with BSD licensed software in general. It allows companies to just take and take and give nothing back but a locked down system.
      Its not wrong... it is okay for BSD developers and okay for companies... you should understand this aspect. Of course its not copyleft and there is zero freedom guarantees.

      Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      One could also argue that there's something wrong with the companies themselves, when they don't see the benefits of the open source development and business model. The BSD lisence is more liberal than GNU GPL anyhow, so that it lets the companies choose whether or not they want to contribute.
      One could also argue that being *too good* equals being very evil. I wouldn't see BSD as anything direction *opensource development*. Opencore, shareware, code dump - yes. But no freedoms, since they are not guaranteed.
      Last edited by brosis; 06-23-2013, 04:40 PM.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by BO$$
        OMFG FreeBSD! Sony must be Satan! I am curios what the linux zealots will say to this one. Hahahaha they chose FreeBSD over Linux. This is really fun. Linux is really being adopted by the people. See what happens when you are fanatical? It drives people away. Which is the opposite of what we want...or say we want.
        There is something wrong with your brain.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          A combination of the BSD POSIX-like APIs for basic OS/hardware services, some superior games-centric APIs (a port of the Direct3D 11 graphics API rather than the CAD-oriented OpenGL mess as one example), plus the console-specific Sony PSN/chat/profile/video/controller APIs.
          Is this confirmed that Sony is writing their own graphics API rather than using OpenGL? That's a bit disappointing.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            A combination of the BSD POSIX-like APIs for basic OS/hardware services, some superior games-centric APIs (a port of the Direct3D 11 graphics API rather than the CAD-oriented OpenGL mess as one example), plus the console-specific Sony PSN/chat/profile/video/controller APIs.
            D3D 11 on FreeBSD? This sounds rather weird to be true. Do you know this for sure? Isn't it Microsoft only, or it's some kind of independent mapping implementation similar to Wine's approach? I'd rather expect them to have OpenGL there. If you have any sources, that would be helpful.
            Last edited by shmerl; 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by nukem View Post
              This is whats wrong with BSD licensed software in general. It allows companies to just take and take and give nothing back but a locked down system.
              It's only a "problem" if that bothers you. Personally, I'd be way more stoked to have code in the BSD kernel (if that is indeed running on the PS4) than I would be for Linux.

              I consider it a huge win when I get an email or a message or just hear about how my code has made someone's life better by existing and letting them create a higher-quality product with less headaches and nonsense. Rather than worrying whether or not you're ever going to get back some hacked-together budget-and-schedule-limited "contributions" you probably don't want to waste your time hassling with in the first place, just release bits and pieces of code you find useful permissively and just _stop giving a crap_ how it's used; either let it just float out there uselessly like most publicly available source or let it improve someone's life (either saving a developer a lot of headaches or resulting in end-users having higher-quality products) whether or not they're proprietary or Free.

              Comment


              • #17
                The screenshots show GRUB 2.0 which is under GPLv3 which demands that GPLv3'ed software must be able by the user to modify it, ie. you can't create a locked-down bootloader based on GRUB 2.0. Therefore I doubt the authenticity of the report.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  The screenshots show GRUB 2.0 which is under GPLv3 which demands that GPLv3'ed software must be able by the user to modify it, ie. you can't create a locked-down bootloader based on GRUB 2.0. Therefore I doubt the authenticity of the report.
                  That is for the dev kit only.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Michael, can you please stop posting wild rumors as fact?

                    That's beyond unprofessional.
                    a rumor it may be but it's hardly wild. It's a fact that the PS3 was using code from both FreeBSD and NetBSD, we know because they have license information posted here http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-license/index.html , since they're now using AMD64 and are familiar with the FreeBSD codebase and OS it's not only completely possible but extremely probable that they would use it.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      I dont care if sony uses linux, windows or whatever, they are the same shit as they have always been, so why so much fuss over this petty topic? seriously guys, this is like fighting over who's the best football team....

                      The only thing i care is whether it would be easier to emulate now that it's relatively standard hardware. Not sure about directly translating x86_64 to x86, so some games might need it to access the 8GB of ram. Or maybe not, but still 8GB of ram would be quite a bit of a requirement for an emulator, so 12GB of ram would be the minimum i guess.
                      pcsx2 used around 1GB of ram last time i checked and it only has 200mb or ram.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X