Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

    Phoronix: ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

    ReactOS, the open-source operating system aiming to reimplement the Microsoft Windows NT architecture, finally has out version 0.3.15. New to ReactOS 0.3.15 is early support for USB keyboards, mice, and storage devices...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MTk

  • #2
    Hooraaay!

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

    ReactOS, the open-source operating system aiming to reimplement the Microsoft Windows NT architecture, finally has out version 0.3.15. New to ReactOS 0.3.15 is early support for USB keyboards, mice, and storage devices...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MTk


    Hoooray! Bleeding egde capability. Definitely will use ReactOS now. That's what I was missing.

    PS. Nvidia claims it will not support Linux OS anymore. They build a new team and the existing developers in the number of ONE are (is) reassinged to ReactOS.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looking better...

      It might almost be useable on newer computers now, if you can find compatible software, have or don't need the right ethernet card, and aren't concerned about wireless or anything exotic like that.

      IE: It's a big step in the right direction..but a step only takes you so far.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
        IE: It's a big step in the right direction..but a step only takes you so far.
        It's a project that's quite fun for hobby purposes and fun for the project devs, but otherwise completely useless. Anyone who seriously thinks this can ever be a replacement for Windows, needs a serious reality check.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by John123 View Post
          Hoooray! Bleeding egde capability. Definitely will use ReactOS now. That's what I was missing.

          PS. Nvidia claims it will not support Linux OS anymore. They build a new team and the existing developers in the number of ONE are (is) reassinged to ReactOS.
          The whole idea of ReactOS is not needing nvidia to support ReactOS. That's the point of having binary compatability with Windows.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            It's a project that's quite fun for hobby purposes and fun for the project devs, but otherwise completely useless. Anyone who seriously thinks this can ever be a replacement for Windows, needs a serious reality check.
            Agreed, but on the other hand, what was the point of making it in the first place? Linux is better at being windows than ReactOS, in a compatibility and functionality point of view anyway.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Agreed, but on the other hand, what was the point of making it in the first place?
              Probably something of a 'because we can' kind of thing.

              Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Linux is better at being windows than ReactOS, in a compatibility and functionality point of view anyway.
              But it doesn't take Windows drivers. A binary compatible clone of Windows that accepts Windows drivers will have superior support for third-party desktop peripherals and hardware than Linux will ever have since every single such device has at least a Windows driver.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Probably something of a 'because we can' kind of thing.



                But it doesn't take Windows drivers. A binary compatible clone of Windows that accepts Windows drivers will have superior support for third-party desktop peripherals and hardware than Linux will ever have since every single such device has at least a Windows driver.
                True, but so far how many of those drivers have actually worked?

                Comment


                • #9
                  And next Year XP reaches the EOL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yea, it would also be a nice middle ground while migrating from Windows to Linux. Gradual changes make it easier to adapt for people.

                    Unfortunately, sometimes it makes me wonder whether ReactOS or Hurd advances faster... Both are currently more or less unusable on regular hardware for daily tasks.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X