Eight-Way BSD & Linux OS Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Isn't it about time for you to get banned for being a stupid motherfucker?
    Seems to me that compared to other similar AGED distros, it won some, and lost some. Overall, about the same. THAT IS PERFORMANCE ONLY, which is far from the only consideration when selecting a distro. You know that some people choose their distribution philosophically, don't you? Their (canonical's) lack of upstream contribution is a great reason to avoid them. Also their crappy UI, and other attempts to break compatibility with GNU/Linux.
    Concerned about the compatibility thing too. It's in a distro's interest to fracture it so that software compiled and distributed for them will be exclusive to them and force Linux users to have to use their distro, like Android for example. Ubuntu with their Mir display server makes me think oh great, now I have to make my software compatible with Xorg (if it doesn't get completely replaced by Wayland), Wayland (if it becomes popular), and Mir? I'm all for improving Linux, but if there are no standards in place that the improvements are using then it is just fracturing. As if Linux needs MORE software ecosystem earthquakes at this point. Linux hasn't even solved universal software distribution issues yet so that a healthy ecosystem can exist. Way too many packages out there with big dependency requirement lists that you're on your own to find.

What distro do you think is better, anyway? Mint is based on a lot of Ubuntu's stuff but may dump Mir when it comes. Debian seems to be a better choice but I thought it still had a lot of usability issues. Fedora seems slick but there are always problems with it being too bleeding edge and I feel like an alpha tester for Red Hat when I use it a lot of times, while other times it seems fairly stable. RPMs also seem much slower than DEBs to install.

Comment

Originally posted by eLDST0RM View Post
      regarding ext4 being insecure:

I don't get it. The link is to some tests that show that performance on a database improves if you turn off barriers on ext4. I don't understand how you can take that fact and use it to conclude that ext4 is inherently unsafe.
      You are right. What I meant is that you can make ext4 insanely fast at the cost of having an absolutely unreliable file system. Compared to the overhead implied by zfs or btrfs, this would provide Linux an unfair advantage. What I'm saying is that, ideally, to really compare operating system performance, you should use the same file system, or at least the same CLASS of file system.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        The only thing he might be referring to is the "nobarrier" option. Yet, even then his statement makes no sense.
        Indeed, the nobarrier option. Sorry for using the word 'insecure'; what I wanted to say is that you can make ext4 ridiculously fast, and hence the benchmarks doesn't really compare operating system's performance: i.e benchmarks are useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
          Indeed, the nobarrier option. Sorry for using the word 'insecure'; what I wanted to say is that you can make ext4 ridiculously fast, and hence the benchmarks doesn't really compare operating system's performance: i.e benchmarks are useless.
          That's a non sequitor. Many Linux filesystems have knobs to toggle some of the performance/safety characteristics including Btrfs. Benchmarks are done with the default safer options usually and any reasonable ones must publish the tweaks done to improve performance if any.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            That's a non sequitor. Many Linux filesystems have knobs to toggle some of the performance/safety characteristics including Btrfs. Benchmarks are done with the default safer options usually and any reasonable ones must publish the tweaks done to improve performance if any.
            Well, I think benchmarks comparing operating systems should use the same file system or, if not possible, at least the same class of file system.

Comment

I wonder if you didn't change something during your install Michael. I'm using Mageia 3, fresh install and the cpu governor is set to ondemand.
              Code:
              [root@localhost ~]# cpupower frequency-info
              analyzing CPU 0:
                driver: acpi-cpufreq
                CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
                CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
                hardware limits: 850 MHz - 1.70 GHz
                available frequency steps: 1.70 GHz, 1.36 GHz, 850 MHz
                available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
                current policy: frequency should be within 850 MHz and 1.70 GHz.
                                The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                                within this range.
                current CPU frequency is 850 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
                boost state support:
                  Supported: no
                  Active: no

Comment

Why use crappy and insecure (and hence extremely fast) ext4?
                Just because it doesn't have all the data integrity features of file systems like btrfs or zfs doesn't make it 'crappy and insecure', that is just pure BS.

Everything is a balance, I as a desktop user are perfectly happy with the performance/features/safety of a filesystem like ext4, as such I see no reason to use a more resource demanding file system like btrfs or zfs, in short, for my needs I don't think their additional features make up for the increased resource use and loss of performance, YMMV.

This is also mirrored in all other Linux distros I've come across, as they (if they default to anything) default to ext4. Given that PC-BSD is a desktop oriented 'distro' it seems as overkill to default to ZFS.

Well, I think benchmarks comparing operating systems should use the same file system or, if not possible, at least the same class of file system.
                I'd agree if this was a file system comparison, but it was a 'out-if-the-box' comparison between a bunch of Linux distros and a BSD distro.

Obviously you have to view the results with that in mind, there's no doubt that each and every one of the tested systems could be tweaked to run faster for certain tests than in their default settings.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  Given that PC-BSD is a desktop oriented 'distro' it seems as overkill to default to ZFS.

I've always felt that desktop-oriented BSD distributions use ZFS as the default system 'just because they can'.

Think about it: the user gets all the benefits of ZFS in the default install and the performance hit is typically not noticeable to all but the most perceptive users.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                    RPMs also seem much slower than DEBs to install.
                    What make you jump to that conclusion? Have you tried pure RPM and DPKG commands to validate your points or you are comparing YUM with APT?
                    Yum does more stuff than APT in single command (behaviour can be modified via yum.conf) imaking speed advantage moot.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      What make you jump to that conclusion? Have you tried pure RPM and DPKG commands to validate your points or you are comparing YUM with APT?
                      Yum does more stuff than APT in single command (behaviour can be modified via yum.conf) imaking speed advantage moot.
                      I was comparing yum vs. apt, and if yum does extra things that help then great, but from my experience I've had package breakage happen more often on systems using yum so I'm not sure what as a user yum gives me over apt. The breakage could just be due to poor repo maintenance in Fedora but it doesn't help increase my belief in Yum/RPM.

All I know is Fedora takes a lot longer to install updates than Ubuntu even if they are small updates, and that doesn't seem to be beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                      X