Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GhostBSD 3.0 Lets You Relive GNOME 2 On BSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GhostBSD 3.0 Lets You Relive GNOME 2 On BSD

    Phoronix: GhostBSD 3.0 Lets You Relive GNOME 2 On BSD

    GhostBSD 3.0 is a BSD operating system derived from FreeBSD. What sets this apart from FreeBSD and the KDE-based PC-BSD is that it's shipping with the GNOME 2.x desktop environment. Openbox and LXDE are also available for this BSD OS...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMzE

  • #2
    Go away, Linsux fanboy.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't get it. If you prefer using Gnome 2 then ship your distro with MATE or Cinamon - don't use dated technology!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
        I don't get it. If you prefer using Gnome 2 then ship your distro with MATE or Cinamon - don't use dated technology!
        Cinnamon isn't GNOME2, and MATE is about as dated as GNOME2.

        Comment


        • #5
          lol, Linux Guys fight about whether it is wise when a multi-million-users/dollars distro develops an own display server, and meanwhile in the bsd camp, some people fork their entire OS for the sake of having an outdated user interface by default, and nobody seems to actually care about that and the Linux guys are instead reunited in their hate (?) for bsd.

          Comment


          • #6
            Necrophiliacs ftw.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              The BSD freaks don't think. If they did they wouldn't use BSD. They would use the vastly superior Linux.
              At least with FreeBSD I can still boot to it using their latest kernel. I have not been able to in Linux since the 3.5 series. Still can't now with 3.8.2


              Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
              some people fork their entire OS for the sake of having an outdated user interface by default
              It was forked for user-friendliness. PC-BSD is bloated and new users don't want a text-based distro *not to mention, don't know how to install a new interface*

              Also, Gnome3 hasn't been put in yet due to it requiring some GNU/Linux only stuff. While it is still possible, it is not recommended for being... buggy at best.

              Still, at least all the other ones like KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Xmonad, etc. are up to date ;P

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                lol, Linux Guys fight about whether it is wise when a multi-million-users/dollars distro develops an own display server, and meanwhile in the bsd camp, some people fork their entire OS for the sake of having an outdated user interface by default, and nobody seems to actually care about that and the Linux guys are instead reunited in their hate (?) for bsd.
                Well, if you are using hardware that doesn't have 3D acceleration support, using LLVMpipe instead is a terribly slow experience.
                And if you want to use Gnome Shell, Cinnamon or any desktop environment from the same family, if you don't have 3D acceleration you will be using LLVMpipe.
                So I can see why they did it from that point of view.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  Tell them about your problem!
                  Well I did submit a kernel bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54191

                  Dunno much else I can do ^.^"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Tell them about your problem!
                    Well I did submit a bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54191

                    That's about as much as I know how to do ^.^"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TestingTe View Post
                      Well I did submit a bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54191

                      That's about as much as I know how to do ^.^"
                      Didn't mean to double-post O.o

                      Sorry ^.^"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
                        In BSD, any C program that has an fclose(NULL) will crash while of Linux, it does not.
                        It's nothing wrong with that according to standard and it's easier to debug programs this way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
                          Looks like we have a BSD fucker here. Fuck off and come back when you start using Linux
                          Did you not see the board on Phoronix 'BSD, Mac OS X, Hurd & Others' where you are currently posting in?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
                            In BSD, any C program that has an fclose(NULL) will crash while of Linux, it does not.
                            Basically this means nothing more than "Linux has support for people that are to dumb to program correctly, while BSD has not."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Now this may explain something.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X