BSDs Struggle With Open-Source Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    I know why someone would want to run Linux. But why run BSD when it's lagging so far behind at this point? I'm not talking about technical merits, licences, and theoretical this and that. I'm talking reality. Linux is ahead of BSD, technologically and support wise; that is, all these corporate entities (such as Intel, speaking of graphics) are pouring massive amounts of money and resources into Linux. Most OSS users use Linux.

Actually, if anything, you can say that BSD does quite well in the form of MacOS. But for OSS, Linux has won.
    and yet the Linux based OS's still suck.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I think the discussion is more "I want to run BSD when it is not lagging so far behind on graphics, what needs to happen to get there ?".
      Those people are far and few between, which is why companies such as the one you work for aren't putting much resources into it, comparatively.(if at all)

x/BSD (Mac excluded) finds itself in the same chicken/egg that Linux was in a few years ago. "We need more of x, but we don't have enough users to justify people/businesses investing time/money to make x a reality".

And given that Linux keeps making advances by leaps/bounds, it attracts users from the x/BSD crowd. Which is a very good thing in the sense that having such a high profile movement(Linux) gets companies such as yours to finally make OSS investments. But it has exascerbated the original chicken/egg scenario on the shoulders of the dwindling x/BSD crowd.

And here's the worst part of all for the BSD crowd: as Linux gets more and more advanced with more dollars, time, and investments made by various places, the delta between x/BSD and Linux will continue to grow, not shrink. I personally couldn't care, if BSD would've won I'd be a BSD user instead of Linux. But that's not how it happened.

(by x/BSD I mean Free, Open, Dragonfly, and etc)

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Why do you need graphics drivers on BSD?
        Exactly, this guy has a good question. Answer: BSD doesn't need any drivers cause no one but zealots and bigots uses them.

Isn't BSD for beardy / server stuff?
        Not even that, Linux more for server then BSD is. BSD is for nothing. Really. FUCKING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Genuinely interested in anyone using BSD on desktop machines with a GUI for anything other than 'just because I can...' purposes.
        No one in thier sane mind uses BSD for any purposes. Cause BSD is meanless, shit, useless, HOMO and good for nothing
        Last edited by systemd rulez; 08 February 2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
          and yet the Linux based OS's still suck.
          Suck in what way, BSD fucker? Oh yes, sucks cause it has beaten the shit out of HomoBSD, thats right.

Man BSDtards are just full of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I think the discussion is more "I want to run BSD when it is not lagging so far behind on graphics, what needs to happen to get there ?".
            What needs to happen is you need to buy a Mac, then you can have sweet graphics on your BSD system.

Comment

FFS here we go again... Lol.

Okay, well, I guess Bridgman had the best comment. *BSD needs to figure out what they can do to be relevant soon. As always you have my respect.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                FFS here we go again... Lol.

Okay, well, I guess Bridgman had the best comment. *BSD needs to figure out what they can do to be relevant soon. As always you have my respect.
                Funny comment because *BSD is possibly the most popular OS on the planet. The two forks of BSD called "IOS" and "OSX" have a bigger installed base than even Microsoft Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                  Funny comment because *BSD is possibly the most popular OS on the planet. The two forks of BSD called "IOS" and "OSX" have a bigger installed base than even Microsoft Windows.
                  Android says hello.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                    1) First, these are not really BSD based. They took some parts from BSDs but not more than that. They have their own kernels, etc.
                    2) Ironically, there are no sources. These are proprietary systems. So mumblings of BSD guys about "freedom" is crap. In BSD world either you have to use something wrecked beyond repair or pay to proprietary guys to fix this crap.
                    Then proprietary guys will "forget" to share source. So no, you can't have mac os x source (there is Darwin bit ir's very incomplete). And of course no iOS source at all.

Here we can see simple thing: BSD only allows to gain something to few powerful corporations. Everyone else getting ... cool chance to work for Apple and somesuch. Without any payments. Really cool understanding of freedom!

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                      x/BSD (Mac excluded) finds itself in the same chicken/egg that Linux was in a few years ago.
                      Ironically, BSDs are 10 years older than any Linux. That's what called EPIC FAIL.

Comment

Working...
                      X