Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 9.1: LLVM/Clang Battling GCC

Phoronix: FreeBSD 9.1: LLVM/Clang Battling GCC

With LLVM/Clang having become the default FreeBSD x86 compiler as of last year and the recent FreeBSD 9.1 release shipping not only LLVM/Clang but also the libc++ library, new benchmarks were carried out of FreeBSD 9.1 looking at its two stock compilers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: FreeBSD 9.1: LLVM/Clang Battling GCC

With LLVM/Clang having become the default FreeBSD x86 compiler as of last year and the recent FreeBSD 9.1 release shipping not only LLVM/Clang but also the libc++ library, new benchmarks were carried out of FreeBSD 9.1 looking at its two stock compilers.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18447
    Would be more interesting to see GCC 4.7 compared with Clang 3.2.

Comment

C'mon Michael, you know that this test is _far_ from fair!

How about you test GCC 3.2 vs the latest LLVM/Clang. I bet the latter one will win everywhere... But will it be fair? No.

Comment

The benchmarks are meant to compare the old FreeBSD system compiler to the new one, not to allow the current versions of both compilers to duke it out - that's a totally different article.

I'm sure GCC 4.7 vs Clang 3.2 will be coming soon :-) (if it hasn't already been done)

Comment

Guys, the tests you are talking about have already been done (in fact, several times).... The most recent GCC 4.7/4.8 vs. LLVM Clang 3.1/3.2 - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18321

This article is just about the stock FreeBSD compiler performance...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I thought they'd been done, I was just feeling too lazy to find the URL...

Thanks for the article Michael, I've just set up a new FreeBSD box and was wondering about exactly this.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Guys, the tests you are talking about have already been done (in fact, several times).... The most recent GCC 4.7/4.8 vs. LLVM Clang 3.1/3.2 - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18321

This article is just about the stock FreeBSD compiler performance...
              There's a little difference: they've been done on Linux.

Comment

Oh, lol: GCC 4.2?

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                There's a little difference: they've been done on Linux.
                Oh, why they have to compete with grandfather of GCC aka gcc 4.2? It would make more sense to battle gcc 4.7 . Next time it's better to use GCC 2.95 or so. It would be easier to beat, 4.2 still kicks the butt in half of tests, which is not something *bsd/clang guys would like, he-he-he .

Comment

How about you drop tests requiring OpenMP for comparison until OpenMP is mainlined into LLVM/Clang 3.3? Retest in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    How about you drop tests requiring OpenMP for comparison until OpenMP is mainlined into LLVM/Clang 3.3? Retest in June.
                    And why someone should make such discounts? We need operating systems here and now. Not "in June" or whenever. Let's go further and drop all tests where clang loses. Or even better, drop all tests where Linux + recent GCC beats BSDs to a hell. Then BSD guys would be happy for sure . Yet, I doubt this approach would make BSDs anyhow popular.

Comment

Working...
                    X