Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch BSD: Arch Linux Atop The FreeBSD Kernel

Phoronix: Arch BSD: Arch Linux Atop The FreeBSD Kernel

The Arch BSD operating system is moving forward, an attempt at a BSD platform that's inspired by the Arch Linux distribution and using its package-set...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4MTk

not everyone wants to compile
    Someone please tell the dev how pkg_add works.

Comment

N0 fahk BSD and it's users comment's yet? Must not be the troll bait I thought it was. I hope the best for this incarnation of Arch seeing the problems the Arch ARM is having with performance.

Comment

... and the reverse also based on Arch

Funnily enough there is also the reverse effort at
        http://starchlinux.org/

which takes much of the userland from OpenBSD and uses musl libc and static linking.

A project I find more interesting But kudos to the Arch/BSD guys too. Nice with people pushing the limits.

Comment

They're trying to port it since years and it's still far from complete. I can't understand why you're bringing this here. I forgot: while systemd is default now, I recommend you to stop wasting your time and go home.
          Last edited by Pawlerson; 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

mind-June
            Whoops.

Not really convinced about the benefits of this project... Now if I could just work out how to boot into my PC-BSD install (ZFS) with Grub-2 I'd be laughing

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              N0 fahk BSD and it's users comment's yet?
              Banned :-)

Comment

Userland

FreeBSD's or GNU's userland?

Comment

GNU's, unfortunately.

OTOH, a FreeBSD kernel with the BSD userland would pretty much be FreeBSD, not Arch-anything.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                    Banned :-)
                    Sorry I seriously couldn't finish reading those threads to find that out... Thanks for the update.

Stachlinux, now that's interesting.

Comment

Now if only someone would develop ArchWindows.

Comment

It's called Cygwin.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                          Not really convinced about the benefits of this project... Now if I could just work out how to boot into my PC-BSD install (ZFS) with Grub-2 I'd be laughing
                          Well, you might never have a use for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD either - but its GRUB2 can boot a FreeBSD kernel from a ZFS filesystem - so that's something you might be able to put to good use. A lot of odd/unexpected benefits seem to come out of these hybrid OS projects and I'm sure there will be more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
                            Someone please tell the dev how pkg_add works.
                            Well currently it doesn't

Comment

I'd Just Like to Point Some Things Out

Actually, first of all, the project is using BSD userland, there was someone who attempted the same but with a GNU userland which has long died.

The reason I started this project, which some may not agree with, was the lack of binary packages that were outdated in FreeBSD repos and to change the initsystem to something more modern.

Basically, the project was to user a new package manager (pacman) and to use a new initsystem ( OpenRC ) and things have been going well.

A few other important changes are:

PKGBUILD and makepkg work with FreeBSD ports in a jail, this saves effort of compiling outside the port tree and having to setup a lot of system variables to keep them prefixed in /usr/local to keep to BSD standards

The benefit to this is ease, and you can also override variables in PKGBUILD such as LDFLAGS, CFLAGS, CONFIGURE etc to set any options you otherwise would when building outside the port tree.

I know most people on this Forum are anti-BSD, but this was a personal project for me, to change some of the things I disliked about FreeBSD.

Comment

Working...
                              X