MorphOS Still Being Toyed With For PowerPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Pallidus
    It doesn't shut down, it goes down to the speed of an original Amiga 500. It's a demo restriction. You can try and fully install MorphOS, then if you are interested in, there is a small utility to buy it (price depends of the age of the original support of the hardware, it's from 49 to 111,11).

Like every AmigaOS, there is a live session, insert the CD boot on it.

@uid313
    Some of the parts of MorphOS are opensource and available in the download section of the website, such as the main component of the desktop (called ambient). Some original linux opensource software have been ported to MorphOS (or AmigaOS 4/AROS) such as blender, gcc, mplayer, ioquake III, browser based on webkit, etc.

Unlike most of PC motherboards, BIOS of powerpc boards are opensource (apple included).

The original Commodore Workbench was POSIX compliant (MorphOS as others successors use pthreads.library or ixemul.library).

Owners of AmigaOne X1000 also received a guide to install and use nearly 10 different flavors of Linux. AmigaOne 500 manufacturers has dev-systems for guys interested in porting operating system to their board and there is an ongoing Haiku and ubuntu port. (A MorphOS port has been demonstrated one month ago.)

@89C51
    There is a new prototype which is working on, based on freescale CPU. which will be cheaper than the AmigaOne X1000 and faster than the AmigaOne 500 (or Sam440/460). I think it will still includes the Xena "hot" programmable chips (xmos one) and the XORRO port.

I hope these elements will help you to better understand MorphOS.

Comment

so you can boot a live session from cd?

just downloaded the 211mb iso I'm going to boot it and try it... look for my review tomorrow

as for the pricing: it is stupid... you should sell it for 50€ a copy and be done with it instead of you pay x you pay y etc etc
      Last edited by Pallidus; 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

To be honest I didn't try version 3 myself (yet, still the 2.7, as in fact I'm an AmigaOS 4 user) but I was told you can still use a live session from the boot CD.

Check for hardware compatibility here before trying to boot the CD :
        http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware

Well, about the price, If I remember well every version had the same price at start (at the release of version 2 it was 150, then the price goes down to 111,11). Starting from version 3, hardware already supported by version 2 got a lower price to 79. So currently only the newly powerbook version is at 111,11. (probably the iBook and PowerMacG5 version too). I don't know for the efika, maybe it's because hardware doesn't really support all the features of morphos 3 due to 128mo of ram.

The money they get from sales is mostly use to buy new hardware to dev (and so more hardware supported). So sure it sounds a bit weird but I don't think it's a bad pricing politic for a niche OS (at least users didn't disagree... )

Comment

@Pallidus
          To be honest I didn't try version 3 myself (yet, still the 2.7, as in fact I'm an AmigaOS 4 user) but I was told you can still use a live session from the boot CD.

Check for hardware compatibility here before trying to boot the CD :
          http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware

Well, about the price, If I remember well every version had the same price at start (at the release of version 2 it was 150, then the price goes down to 111,11). Starting from version 3, hardware already supported by version 2 got a lower price to 79. So currently only the newly powerbook version is at 111,11. (probably the iBook and PowerMacG5 version too). I don't know for the efika, maybe it's because hardware doesn't really support all the features of morphos 3 due to 128mo of ram.

The money they get from sales is mostly use to buy new hardware to dev (and so more hardware supported). So sure it sounds a bit weird but I don't think it's a bad pricing politic for a niche OS (at least users didn't disagree... )

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            So why the harsh words on a project that is totally irrelevant to you in any way? Opensource is not an silver bullet or anything.
            Um... ANDROID.

'nuff said.

Comment

imo this is, and will always be, a hobbyist OS for amiga'tards.

They are directing this OS at people that would purposefuly buy old hardware so they can run an amiga like OS.

sad is that it is quite snappy and had potential to revive old mac laptops that were left in the dust by apple but 111 is absolutely insane

Comment

Sure it can't be compared to popular systems such as Linux, OSX or Windows (for exemple) in terms of functionalities or applications and it's not targeted to non amiga user. It will remain an hobby OS and things are progressing really slowly... but it can do regular tasks you're excepting from a home computer.

Here is a video review of MorphOS 3.0 :
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQxJgw0GhJo

You will see that it's responsive and well polished.

Comment

I know it's responsive and the design made me think of bodhi linux for some reason ...

but

why would I pay 111 to use it?

Comment

Well, nobody asks you or forces you to buy it

First MorphOS has been designed for Amiga users, if you don't know how to use the Amiga OS, you will get lost. Like discovering Windows if you are a Linux user.

But if somebody (ok, a computer hobbyist) has a MorphOS supported powerpc mac, is tired from slowness of latest OSX versions (or doesn't want to try a power pc linux distro which will not be responsive too unless using XFCE/LXDE), and are not afraid to learn a new OS, he might be interested in paying those 111,11 to get a fast dedicated PowerPC only OS which plays HD videos, listen music, surf the web, mail, ssh etc. and have fun. At least he got the chance to fully try it and even install it before to take his decision.

If you are not an Amiga user or if you are not curious and interested to give a second life to an old apple hardware and discover an alternative system, then MorphOS is not the way to go.

Comment

no, don't get me wrong I'm more than interested in ressurecting a bunch of old mac laptops I have, but here's the thing:

- I can't really run linux as the few distros that support powerpc (ubuntu, etc) lack the proper drivers for sound/wireless/gfx etc...

- the best you can do is os x 10.5

Morph os is fast and snappy and it does seems to have a gpu driver (????) sound works etc... wireless didn't

but not being an amiga 'enthusiast' why in the hell would I pay 340 to put morph os on the laptops? I'd rather pirate OS x 10.5 and install on the others.

again I wish them luck in this project and I see they have lots of amiga fans that will buy morph os ...

but if they wish to expand their audience, if they want more people to use their morph os not just amiga fans they are gonna have to rethink their marketing.

Comment

Working...
                      X