Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Fusion 5.0 Benchmarks With Ubuntu 12.04

Phoronix: VMware Fusion 5.0 Benchmarks With Ubuntu 12.04

Many Phoronix readers have been asking about VMware Fusion 5.0 benchmarks, so here are some numbers for those wondering about this closed-source virtualization product for running other operating systems atop Mac OS X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would have liked

I would have liked to see VirtualBox and QEMU/KVM thrown into the mix.

Comment

I don't get it. Why are you testing Fusion, a Mac application, instead of VMWare Workstation, a Linux app?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        I don't get it. Why are you testing Fusion, a Mac application, instead of VMWare Workstation, a Linux app?
        well to be fair here i have tried VMware workstation and is really unstable and hard to install in recent linux distros[works fine on redhat], not that i care tho since KVM+spice is good enough for my needs[and very close to metal perf in anything but 3D which i don't need].

so maybe he tried and like me emoquitted after the crash fest but vmware fusion was stable enough to run PTS

maybe for you is awesome or maybe is my set of hardware[opteron and amdFX bulldozer and my old phenon II X4] but for me is not usable and if it works once you put some CPU pressure BANG!!!

Comment

mmm vmware workstation 9 is out and i haven't tested that one but the 2 previous versions failed on me enough to never bother in wasting money on it again.

Comment

So this doesn't mean much if I'm a Linux user with Ivy Bridge and Intel HD 4000 graphics (on Mesa)? It would be great to hear I could get similar results emulating Windows on Linux, since 3ds Max (and of course games for most of the readers here) is the one application I even need it for. Since I don't plan to use OS X at home, I'm finding it really hard to be excited about this.

It would be great if Oracle took a similar stance on improvements to 3d performance in VirtualBox, but I wonder if they even have the resources to make a significant jump.

Comment

Fusion is what many (dare I say most) Mac users install so that they can run linux. In many cases, it is more stable than running on bare metal.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                Fusion is what many (dare I say most) Mac users install so that they can run linux. In many cases, it is more stable than running on bare metal.

F
                In my experience, most use Bootcamp.

Comment

In my experience, most use Bootcamp.
                  You're probably correct.

Looking at the benchmarks, I wonder what workloads benefited from the "40% better performance" claims made in the marketing material. With the exception of 3D rendering, a lot of workloads were already within 10% of the bare-metal figures.

Running Fusion5 now. Seems to fix the bridged network issue. While performance does not appear to be noticeably faster, nothing that I do has suffered any sort of regression.

F

Comment

Working...
                  X