Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haiku OS Ported To 64-bit, Picks Up OpenJDK Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Haiku OS Ported To 64-bit, Picks Up OpenJDK Support

    Phoronix: Haiku OS Ported To 64-bit, Picks Up OpenJDK Support

    The Haiku operating system, the open-source BeOS-compatible platform, was successful in receiving a working x86_64 port this summer. Haiku 64-bit is working, but not all applications and drivers have yet been ported...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MDI

  • #2
    Very interesting.. in the meanwhile I m getting KDL's while even trying to boot Haiku on old hardware such P3 systems...(while ZETA works perfect there!)

    Comment


    • #3
      What about SCSI?

      Yeah, really interesting. But does it support SCSI adapters? I've been unable to find reliable information about whether and which SCSI adapters Haiku supports. I've tried browsing the source too but didn't find it there either. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. All the same - does anyone have any pointers about Haiku's SCSI support. I really want to try it on an old 2xPentiumII/300 machine but it only has SCSI drives.

      Comment


      • #4
        You can boot (from a CD) to "live" mode to see if your SCSI card is supported , again *IF* you are lucky and the boot don't go to KDL...

        I remember the old good BeOS had support for SCSI like 2940W/UW

        Comment


        • #5
          Isn't half the point of this OS is to have a modern BeOS distro that is binary compatible with the old BeOS programs? If so, won't 64 bit break that compatibility?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Isn't half the point of this OS is to have a modern BeOS distro that is binary compatible with the old BeOS programs? If so, won't 64 bit break that compatibility?
            Haiku already has a mechanism to run original BeOS applications (which were compiled with GCC 2) under a GCC 4-compiled Haiku system. 64bit Haiku could build on that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Haiku already has a mechanism to run original BeOS applications (which were compiled with GCC 2) under a GCC 4-compiled Haiku system. 64bit Haiku could build on that.
              So the old closed-source binaries will still work on this 64 bit release? If so, that's pretty awesome - it almost makes the 32 bit version completely obsolete once they finish porting everything.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't think the 64bit build supports 32bit userland yet but it will probably be trivial to add.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  but it will probably be trivial to add.
                  Famous last words.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    So the old closed-source binaries will still work on this 64 bit release? If so, that's pretty awesome - it almost makes the 32 bit version completely obsolete once they finish porting everything.
                    To be clear: I was just saying that it could end up this way. I can't predict the future.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Use case and Haiku point of being.

                      I actually do not understand neither benefits of Haiku over other systems,
                      nor technologically not as a being fit to certain use case.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Markore View Post
                        I actually do not understand neither benefits of Haiku over other systems,
                        nor technologically not as a being fit to certain use case.
                        I don't know if its more advanced in any area than other OSes but they do it for fun and because they can and for that only they get my internets.

                        Also they have a more unified approach compared to Linux. They don't have something like linux>Xorg>DE
                        Last edited by 89c51; 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Markore View Post
                          I actually do not understand neither benefits of Haiku over other systems,
                          nor technologically not as a being fit to certain use case.
                          Variation is an important part of evolution. Thus I am happy about every other OS out there. Now if they would get mesa/gallium3d ported I might be even tempted to try it out.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Markore View Post
                            I actually do not understand neither benefits of Haiku over other systems,
                            nor technologically not as a being fit to certain use case.
                            Well, when Haiku was initiated, the BeOS design was the best out there. Since then other operating systems caught up (eg. in multi-threading) or even surpassed it (composite window management). PulseAudio is basically BeOSí sound system done wrong but the idea of eg. per application volume settings originated there.

                            Last time I checked most Haiku devs only used it in a VM and developing it was just a hobby. Haiku is now 12 or so years old. I don't believe that any Haiku developer thinks that Haiku would be useful anytime soon.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by log0 View Post
                              Variation is an important part of evolution. Thus I am happy about every other OS out there. Now if they would get mesa/gallium3d ported I might be even tempted to try it out.
                              The latest Mesa3D compiles for Haiku... hardware rendering isn't there yet though. (Haiku currently uses swrast) I wouldn't expect hardware rendering until post-R1 though.

                              (source of info... i ported the latest mainline Mesa3D to Haiku)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X