Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Delivers Some Performance Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
    You need an Apple blog for this stuff, because nobody running Linux gives a rats ass about it.
    Sorry, but you don't get to speak for everyone in the world who runs Linux. Many people who run Linux also use OSX, and all this is of interest. In fact, Michael's articles on Apple are more technical and give more comparisons than the Apple sites do.

    I am quite happy to keep funding Michael's efforts via a Phoronix Premium subscription, and am also quite happy to tell bitches like you to STFU.

    Michael, keep it up. What you are able to do as a one-man operation is very impressive.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
      I am quite happy to keep funding Michael's efforts via a Phoronix Premium subscription, and am also quite happy to tell bitches like you to STFU.
      Most Macolytes I've encountered are anxious to visibly manifest superiority.

      Perhaps your money would be better spend on instruction in etiquette.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
        You need an Apple blog for this stuff, because nobody running Linux gives a rats ass about it.
        Speak for yourself, mate. You're not forced to read every article here, you know.

        Comment


        • #19
          well i do enjoy some apple write candy now and then since as many i use OS X for some stuffs too and if linux will be erased from human history today im sure ill use OS X just to never touch windows again[hardened OS X ofc].

          beside i like a lot their hardware [especially the MBAir] sure is expensive but in my personal experience hardware quality [including motherboard electronic parts ]is top notch in apple[sure is more expensive] and it normally runs linux just fine for some on the road C++ magic and since normally the El Cheapo HP/Dell crappy plastic laptops with horrible BIOS [forced with windows on <--- i hate it] usually last a year in my hand tops [500$/year] while my MBAir has 3,5 years handling all kind of punishment and still works swiftly[999$] i say it worth it.

          sure i understand maybe you just hate apple or your dell laptop has 10 years with you or you tried apple and got a bad experience but in my personal specific situation apple laptops[for desktop PC i build by hand] are better for me and my specific use[90% linux/ 10% OS X] so this kind of articles are interesting [i wanted to buy the MBP retina but thanks to michael i'll stick to MBAir that seem to work fine wih linux]

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
            Speak for yourself, mate. You're not forced to read every article here, you know.
            Only an idiot would acquire a "$2100 rMBP" to benchmark rubbish games on, or really, to run anything other than OS X. The sooner Michael Larrabel realizes that, the better off we'll all be.

            Michael needs to come in out of the sun, pour himself a nice tall refreshing, non-alcoholic beverage, and refocus.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
              Only an idiot would acquire a "$2100 rMBP" to benchmark rubbish games on, or really, to run anything other than OS X. The sooner Michael Larrabel realizes that, the better off we'll all be.

              Michael needs to come in out of the sun, pour himself a nice tall refreshing, non-alcoholic beverage, and refocus.
              well that uber high resolution screen seems really useful for coding and graphic art only optimus screw it[maybe for the price they should stick with nvidia/amd only GPU LOL] but sure if you don't code or do graphic work for 2000$ that screen is too overkill.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                well that uber high resolution screen seems really useful for coding and graphic art only optimus screw it[maybe for the price they should stick with nvidia/amd only GPU LOL] but sure if you don't code or do graphic work for 2000$ that screen is too overkill.
                I've seen one in the wild. Text and other vector graphics appear to be the greatest beneficiary of the 220 dot pitch (they are very sharp). Photo and video show some improvement, not $1000 worth.

                In theory, a 2880x1800 display would be great for coding -- just not in a 14" form factor, unless maybe you happen to code through a microscope. A conventional 1900x1080 desktop display would actually be far more useful, for that matter so would a 17" laptop if you must go mobile. You can buy an hd1080 display for less than $200, and a 17" laptop for less than $400.

                Bonus: Linux will run on that sub-$400 laptop.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
                  Most Macolytes I've encountered are anxious to visibly manifest superiority.
                  And most Lintards I know are quick to bash anything Apple related without knowing at all what they are talking about, then wrap themselves their own incorrect superiority.

                  But hey, since I am not a Macolyte and you couldn't possibly be a Lintard, we are both in the clear, right?

                  Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
                  Perhaps your money would be better spend on instruction in etiquette.
                  I just prefer not to waste my skills in etiquette on those who do not deserve them.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    The 10.7 mbp has 1024mb VRAM and the 10.8 mbp has 512mb VRAM.

                    sup wit that?
                    On 10.7 it's probably reporting the GeForce's vram, and on 10.8 it's reporting the HD4000's vram. Why? I don't know...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X